News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1989 DeVille - 4.5 liter?

Started by Dale, September 04, 2006, 10:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dale

Hi all,
Most of my Caddy knowledge is about models from the 1960s, so when it comes to an 89 I am in need of advice.
I am looking at a 1989 Sedan DeVille for sale. Apparently, it has a 4.5 liter V8 FWD. What I really want to know is, does this engine have anything in common with the alloy 4.1 liter V8.

...and to really open up the hornets nest, I understand that the 4.1 had some issues specifically relating to the iron bores and aluminium blocks if regular servicing and maintenance was not carried out. If the 4.5 is a brother of the 4.1, did it suffer from the same problems? Is the 4.5 aluminium with iron bores as well?

Did the 4.5 suffer from any other inherant issues/problems?

Thanks.
Dale.

Mike #19861

The 4.5 and the 4.9 litre V8s shared the construction with the HT4100. They were a die-cast aluminum block with free standing wet cylinder liners, cast iron heads and aluminum intake manifold.

The HT4100, particularly early engines, did have many issues that stemmed from coolant intrusion into the oil. This was caused by the heads being able to migrate on the deck and allowing small amounts of coolant to contaminate the oil. This resulted in prematire engine wear, particularly in camshpfts. Also, the intake manifold gaskets could fail allowing coolant to be leakind into the oil, albeit in much greater quantities.

GM fixed this problem with solid as opposed to split dowels on to locate the heads and better gasket materials and revised torque specs.

The 4.5 incorporated all the upgrades of the HT4100s, plus had a larger bore to allow for the greater displacement. The engine turned out to be very reliable, having few issues. But, in my experience I have seen camshaft distributor drive gear wear allowing the timing to wander causing an idle float, main bearing knocks (easily fixed) and failed intake manifold gaskets (also easily fixed). These problems, however, were relatively uncommon.

If maintained properly, these engines enjoyed a long life and gave very little grief. If you are considering buying one of these cars, be sure the recommended service intervals have been followed religiously. Then you shouldnt have any problems.

Mike

Dale

Thanks Mike.

It sounds like the last couple of sentences you wrote are the most important.
......be sure the recommended service intervals have been followed religiously.

Thanks again,
Dale.

Mike #19861

Youre welcome.

Keep us posted on the car, eh?

Mike

Dale.

Mike,

To keep you posted.....
I was thinking about it as my new daily driver. But the reputation of problems with the HT4100, and the chance of inheriting them in 4.5 in the 89, makes me too uncomfortable I think.

I know some people have had a great run out of the 4100, but for me, its a bit nerve racking.

I dunno... Im still tossing the idea around.

Thanks,
Dale.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Dave,

If it is hard enough for people in America to drive these HT4100 cars, then the chances of having a trouble-free run in Australia would be extremely unlikely.

But, a 4.5 or 4.9 might be a different kettle of fish.

But, I think one of the real problems with the HT4100 might just have been the then drivers simply failing to service their vehicles at the recommended intervals as they would have been driving them as they drove their older Cadillacs and they simply were bulletproof.

Australians tend to take better care of vehicles I have found.   Mainly because they keep them for a lot longer, and nobody wants to break down in the never-never.

A mate of mine will even give his car the going over when he has to drive to Launceston and back, and that is a journey one way of 120 miles.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

David #19063

The 4.5L is a different motor than the 4100.  The bugs have been worked out and the motor has some power.  

The 4.9L is even better if there are those available.  

But  you will not be disappointed by the 4.5L  I had a 88 SDV with the 4.5L and it surprised me on the power.

David

Mike #19861

I would not hesitate to own one of these cars. They are plenty powerful, good on gas(when properly tuned) and simply a nice driving car.

But, they must have had all the proper maintenance. Lack of coolanr changes alone can leav a filty brown sludge in the cooling system that actially acts as an electrolyte and corrodes everything from the inside out. You are looking for a nice green colour. Any signs of brownish sludge or bad odour, stay clear.

Mike