News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Oil additive

Started by Alan E. Feltham, CLC Member, September 07, 2006, 11:20:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan E. Feltham, CLC Member

Has anyone had experience with LUCAS 100percent petroleum oil additive?

Paul W. Sickles CLC#23221

I use Lucas in my 39 LaSalle with 10W-30.  The combination is fantastic and the engine runs like a Swiss watch, quiet and very smooth. I have heard of those that use 20W-50 but in my opinion that is way too heavy. Using 10W-30 you are already 10 weight heavier than the engine was designed for which was SAE 20 @ 32 degrees or above. For those out there that may not quite understand oil rating here is a quick lesson:

Oil weight, or viscosity, refers to how thick or thin the oil is. The temperature requirements set for oil by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) is 0 degrees F (low) and 210 degrees F (high).

Oils meeting the SAEs low temperature requirements have a "W" after the viscosity rating (example: 10W), and oils that meet the high ratings have no letter (example SAE 30). An oil is rated for viscosity by heating it to a specified temperature, and then allowing it to flow out of a specifically sized hole. Its viscosity rating is determined by the length of time it takes to flow out of the hole. If it flows quickly, it gets a low rating. If it flows slowly, it gets a high rating.

Engines need oil that is thin enough for cold starts, and thick enough when the engine is hot. Since oil gets thinner when heated, and thicker when cooled, most of us use what are called multi-grade, or multi-viscosity oils. These oils meet SAE specifications for the low temperature requirements of a light oil and the high temperature requirements of a heavy oil. You will hear them referred to as multi-viscosity, all-season and all-weather oils (10W-30).

SAE-30 was recommended by LaSalle only it the prevailing temperature was above 90 degrees so why would you want to go to a 50 weight? Remember, thicker viscosity oils are not always necessarily better since in addition to its various engine lubrication functions, an oil must also effectively transfer heat. Only about 60percent of an engines cooling is performed by the engine coolant, and only on the upper half of the engine. The remaining 40percent of an engines cooling is performed mainly by the engine oil.

Correct oil pressure is also an important factor in preventing noisy valve operation but extremely high pressure may lift the entire hydraulic unit against the plunger spring, permitting excessive plunger movement and wear. Even if you engine has wear pumping 50 weight oil is like trying to pump molasses to critical engine components. The key is proper lubrication.  Lucas Oil Stabilizer is an excellent product, 100percent petroleum product formulated to eliminate dry starts and reduce friction, heat and wear in any type of engine. It allows motor oils a higher degree of lubricity which reduces oil consumption and operating temperatures. Since it is pure petroleum, it can safely blend with all other automotive lubricants, even synthetics, ATF and mineral oil. I have had great performance with this combination and I believe the best engine protection but it is only one man’s opinion. So for you guys out there running 20W-50, no offense, if it works for you then that’s great. To each his own, this has just been the best combination for me.

Fred Zwicker #23106

Paul,

Thank you for a very clear explanation - such detail is very informative and greatly appreciated.

Which Lucas product do you use and also what percent is used, as there is one for synthetic oil, as well as the standard Lucas. Also there are many other products made by Lucas on their site. Here is what was on the autobarn.net site for what they call "Lucas Heavy-Duty Oil Stabilizer" at $7.99 per quart, on sale now for $7.49 and 2 for $13.98.

FROM LUCAS SITE: "Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer is the number one heavy duty and high performance oil supplement in the US. It eliminates dry starts and resists thermal breakdown for total protection in new engines. It stops smoking, knocking, and oil consumption in worn engines. It raises oil pressure and adds lubricity for more miles per gallon (M.P.G.).

In addition, it lowers oil temperatures and stops leaks. It also extends oil life by at least 50percent. Use it in any manual transmission or differential to stop wear, leaks, heat, noise & hard shifting. Using Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer will not void new car warranties. Since it is pure petroleum, it safely blends with all petroleum products, even synthetics.

The following guidelines are recommended for using Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer:

In engines use approximately 20percent or one quart to each gallon of any other motor oil, petroleum or synthetic
In badly worn engines use more - up to 60 or 80percent, if necessary
In manual transmissions use 25 to 50percent
In differentials use 50 to 100percent
In transfer cases use 50 to 100percent
In industrial gearboxes use 25 to 50percent for preventative maintenance and less power drain. If necessary use 50 to 100percent to stop leaks and overheating
Comes in a one quart bottle."
END OF LUCAS SALES INFORMATION.

* I (Fred Zwicker) have been using 20W50 Phillips Aircraft Oil (non-detergent), as this was advised by a friend who has been using this in his 1940 Cadillac driver for many years. I thought this was the right combination and was hoping that this aircraft oil contained zinc, but now am not so sure.  Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated by all of us.  Also any advice from those using 20W50 aircraft or similar oil (and E.O.S or any other additive) might be helpful.  My first thought was to add the E.O.S. to my 20w50 oil, based on many recommendations on this site.  Anyone else using Lucas, or are there any other recommendations?

Thanks,

Fred Zwicker

JIM CLC # 15000

09-16-06
TO: ALL OWNERS and LOVERS OF USED,ABUSED and MISUSED Cadillacs  and La Salles. The weight of motor oils use to have me wondering how an oil could get thicker when hot,untill I asked a man that know more about motor oils such as 10W30 or 5W30. Seems the Chemists that formulated the motor oils knew that the engines would get hot and took that into account when they came-up with the recipe for the multi-weight oils. Seems the Chemists arranged some of the oil molecules so they would become larger whem they were hot,as does macaroni when cooked. With muligrade oils, 5W30 for example, will not get thicker then 5WT when cold, at zero degrees and not thinner then 30WT when heated to 212 degrees ferenhite(sic)
GoodLuck,JIM