News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Yann & Gita, Fall Tour of NW states

Started by Yann Saunders, CLC #12588, September 15, 2006, 11:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yann Saunders, CLC #12588

After two hectic months in Europe, were ready for another two months and 8,000 miles "on the road", CAMPING (!) in the wilds of the north-west ...before the snows set in or the car breaks down or I get too old for this sort of stuff.

We dont have a fixed itinerary, just a rough direction plan that will take us through or near the following cities/towns: Winston Salem, NC, Ashland, KY, Indianapolis, IN, Chicago, IL, Green Bay WI, Ashland, WI, Brainerd, MN, Grand Forks, MN [Fargo, ND], Sioux Falls, SD, Rapid City, SD [Mount Rushmore], Island Park, ID [Yellowstone], Missoula, MT, Spokane, WA, Seattle, WA, The Dalles, OR [via Vancouver], Boise, ID, Idaho Falls, ID [Grand Tetons], Dubois, WY, Casper, WY, Cheyenne, WY, Omaha, NE, Columbia, MO, Evansville, TN, Nashville, TN, Atlanta, GA, Greenville, SC and back to Columbia, SC.

Depending on various factors, we may take a side trip from Cheyenne, WY to Estes Park, CO, Grand Junction, CO, Cortez, CO, Colorado Springs, CO, Brush, CO, Grand Island, NE and Omaha, NE.

We hope to see many fine, old Cadillacs en route !!!

However, considering the age and mileage of our "wheels". We may not even make it round the first bend. Theres also the possibiliity that we may sell the wagon en route [it carries a "FOR SALE" sign reading "Seattle or Sell"]; in that case we shall fly home and plan the same trip next year with the "other" wagon.

If any of you are located on our planned route and want to hook up, we shall be check eMail sporadically (lap-top or local libraries en route).

We shall try to keep a log and to post updates to the Web site, below. Feel free to check in.

http://www.car-nection.com/yann/2006us_tour/log_book/falltour.htm TARGET=_blank>http://www.car-nection.com/yann/2006us_tour/log_book/falltour.htm

Jerry

Love it!!!  You are saved to my favorite websites list - looking forward to reading your comments, pics, etc. in the next couple months.  Have a great time - keep us up to date.

Bill Podany

Yann,

You two are crazy!  Anyway I am a big fan of your Data Base.  My wife Judy and I just moved from Green Bay, WI to Knoxville, TN.  I would love to meet you and hook up if you come through Knoxville...East Tennessee.  My information is as follows:

phone: 865-288-0283

email: bpodany@charter.net

address:  12310 Mallard Bay Drive; Knoxville TN 37922...this area is west of Knoxville in the town of Farragut.

If all goes well, we shall be in Tennessee towards the end of the trip and would love to meet you there.  Its too early to give you a date or time but Im guessing mid- to late October.

By that time we should look even more bedraggled than when we leave Colmbia, next week. So, please dont shoot first and ask questions later!

Quentin Hall Australia

Last year my wife,Wendy and I, were graced with the privilige of having Yann and Gita stay at our home on the Brisbane leg of their Antipodean (thats Australia and New Zealand) trek.  
          We made friends for life . . . and our only regret is that the tyranny of distance precludes us from seeing them as much as wed like to.  
          A greater couple in the hobby you will not find.    
          Please, if you can, offer them your warmest hospitality and a nice warm bed for I am sure that when it is time for them to leave you will be saying,with a lump in your throat and a tear in your eye "Are you sure you dont want to stay just a little more?"
          And if you insist on being renumerated you can always have Yann sharpen your kitchen knives.
         To Yann and Gita . . .
   Good luck you "two crazy kids" you are an inspiration to all those afraid to "Hit the road Jack".
          Quentin, Wendy, Preston, Eva and Bronte.    
 PS. our tomato knife has lost its edge Yann . When are you coming back?!!!.            

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Quinton,

I too can vouch for Gita and Yanns bubbling enthusiasm and not wanting them to leave.

I encourage all members out there that come across their path to take them by the hand, or throat, and, if necessary, force them to stay at least a couple of days.

My wife and I too know how being in a strange land can be a bit daunting, and seeing as they are nearly "Southerners", well, they do live in South Carolina, and call America home, I wouldnt like them to sleep too much in the back of their Buick.

Maybe we could start up an "Accommodate Mr & Mrs Cadillac" register before they actually depart on their trek?

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Steve Hales clc# 16187

Yann I am a big fan of your web page , I  live 45 miles southwest of Boise Idaho right off I 84  in Fruitland Idaho. would be a plessure to have you & Gita stop on your way to Boise from Portland Ore. We have plenty of room and even a big shop in case you need repairs. If You can fit it in your schedule your sure welcome to stay here.

steve hales

Thanks for the invite, Steve.  If we ever make it that far, well certainly be honored to avail ourselves of your kind hospitality. However, Im starting to get worried about getting across the Rockies in SNOW, with RR-wheel drive, automatic transmission and summer tires!!!  Guess, well just play it by ear. At least we have NO obligation to go through with the trip if conditions were to become hazardous.

BTW, guys and gals, it might be best to contact us privately.  Dont want to get "irritable" CLC members annoyed with this off-topic thread.