News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

68 Trunk lid

Started by Viator Trudeau #8697, September 16, 2006, 06:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viator Trudeau #8697

Hello all,  did the factory have any sound deadener installed between the two layers of metal of the trunk lid. It is really tinny when I now close it.  Whats a good fix for this condition?  Thanks.

Jim Skelly, CLC #15958

I cant answer the question regarding the existence of sound deadener as I have a 68 Eldorado.  I recommend a new trunk weatherstrip.  It will close with less noise.

Viator Trudeau #8697

Jim, thanks for the reply.  I have installed a new gasket 6-7 years ago.  Perhaps the latch is set too tight!! When latched the surfaces line up.  It does not take very much loosening up to cause a rain leak, but its worth a try to find a compromise.

Jim Skelly, CLC #15958

Viator,

Try childrens clay (Play-Doh, etc.) and put it over the latch assembly to determine how much clearance you have between the trunk lid mechanism and the latch mechanism.  This might give you a better idea as to how much room you have to make adjustments without having to guess.  It is a fine adjustment between correct panel fit and a water leak.  I know that from adjusting the trunk lid on my 77 Eldorado.