News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

37 LaSalle spot lights

Started by chic Gray, September 18, 2006, 05:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chic Gray

My 37 LaSalle convertable has holes drilled in the left side of the windshield frame for a spot light.  Were spot lights an accessory in 37, or was this an after thought by a previous owner?  I was advised earlier that the correct side for the radio areal was on the left side. To avoid the spot light hitting the areal, could this be why the areal was put on the right side of the car, and the spot light was a option at time of purchase?  
Chic Gray CLC member 22336

Bruce Berghoff - 1476

Chic...I dont know if Cadillac offered a spot light as a factory option on the 37 LaSalle, but I dont believe they offered a factory left side cowl mounted radio antenna ! As a matter of fact I dont believe they offered any Cowl Mounted Antennas in 37. As far as I know all Cadillac and LaSalles with factory radios were outfitted with under-runningboard antennas .

JIM CLC # 15000

09-18-06
Chic, according to the book, La Salle, Cadillacs companion Car,a spotlight is listed for the enclosed car at $22.00
I think your car had the spotlight added by a previous owner.
Good Luck,JIM

John Washburn

Bruce,

My 38 65 Series, 5 passenger, divider window was ordered without a radio in San Francisco, but had the antenna in the running boards.

My 37 LaSalle, coupe, was ordered without a radio, no antenna in the running boards (also Don Lee, but Santa Rosa, Calif). But it has, I think, a dealer installed factory radio (I bought the tuning section from you), so the antenna is installed behind the front fender. It connects in two places where the antenna pases through, vertically. I think this was the dealer installed kit?

My 4 door parts car with the radio is exactly the same.

So, is there (as I propose) a difference in antennas based on factory or dealer installation?

John Washburn
CLC #1067
Elizabeth, Colorado

Bruce B. - #1476

John... Now we have to turn to none other than Sir Douglas Houston for the answer ! Im just a drop-out MG car guy .... I dont really know anything about Cadillac or LaSalle antennas !!Besides, I had just jumped ship from Norway when Cadillac was building that model ... I couldnt even READ English, much less SPEAK it ! BB

Warren Rauch

Radio aerials in 1937 were under the running board. In 1938 the story got comlicated. From the Cadillac Accelerator The double running-board aerial had to be discarded shorty after the 1938 season began, due to an ignition radiation problem, and the less efficient single running-board aerial substituted. At the same time the roof aerial and later the cowl aerial  both highly efficient aerials -were made avalible. This cowl aerial was mounted on  two insallaters with the leadin going thru one of them. In 1939 they went to the vacuum style .Warren