News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cleaning Grille On A 61 Cadillac

Started by Jack Miller, September 22, 2006, 12:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Miller

Hi All,

I recently bought a replacement grille for my 61 Convertible and it is filthy.
I do not have a clue what is on the grille. A powder that resembles concrete but when it is washed with windex it just gets worse.
I was thinking about a powerwasher tomorrow. I tried Flitz on a few pieces but that was a lot of work for little progress.
Any help or ideas would be a blessing.

Thanks
Jack
1961 Cadillac

Frank #12944

On my 61 I used fine steel wool, 000 first then 0000 with mild soapy water. This helped a lot but took hours.
To make it new, it will need to be re-anodized which I eventually purchased another grille that was. There is a guy in Minnesota that does this. Not cheap but worth the final product.

Mike Josephic

I agree with the other reply.  Once aluminum starts to get that white powder (oxidation) you refer to, you can polish it off with difficulty but it will just come back.  It needs to be reanodized and your problems will be over.  If you do have that done, DONT use any type of abrasive cleaner or you will remove the anodizied finish and be back where you started.  Mike

Jeff Traikoff

No need to ship it far off, just give it a good cleaning and then crack open the phone book and look for plating companies.  Recently i sandblasted my hood hinges, dust shields and a bunch of other stuff and walked into the back of this big plating facility, threw the guy 30 bucks and he put them on the rack for me, stuff looks GREAT!

Trent Mitchell

Im guessing that it would need to be completely disassembled prior to plating. I wonder what it would look like if someone had theirs chromed...

Rhino 21150

If you have a large enough container (plastic trash can?) put it in water with dish detergent, a lot, overnight. Then rub with very fine steel wool. When clean, send it to the plater for anodizing. Look under metal finishing. Laundry detergent or ammoniated (windex) cleaners etch the metal. So does vinegar, oven cleaner, Ajax and friends. Murphys oil soap cleans nicely.