News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Restoring heater core/evaporator box...

Started by Jeff Traikoff, September 22, 2006, 03:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Traikoff

68 DeVille

Due to my original one being cracked, i aquired a heater core/evaporator fiberglass box (on firewall) from Arizona.  It looks like it has been sitting in the AZ sun for some time and has lost its shiny resin finish.  Any suggestions as to what I can put on there to get that shiny-ness back while being able to withstand engine heat?  Thanks.

Jeff T.

JIM CLC # 15000

09-23-06
Jeff,  Sand it smoove and paint it with heat resistance paint.
I think Home Depot carries the black HR paint. Jeff, if you dont want to go that route, try the Black PVC/ABS glue and use it as a paint, check the temp. range on it first, If the temp range is ok, use it. It may be less expense then HR paint.
HTH
Good Luck,JIM

Jeff Traikoff

Well i was hoping to keep the box its original color, not so much a color but it was clearly visible that the box is fiber glass.  Maybe a high temp clear coat?

JIM CLC # 15000

09-24-06@10;48PST
Jeff I dont know that a HT clear coat is made!
Check the special-order catalog in the Home Depot HT spray-paint section or a regular paint store. Jeff, what does the under-side of the heat box look like? I never heard or seen one where you could tell it was made of fiber-glass. They all appeared black to me.
Good Luck,JIM

Jeff Traikoff

Its a resin embedded with dry fiberglass strands.  The strands are very noticeable up to 6ft away.  That and the broken cross-section of my old set up indicated it was fiberglass.  

Maybe I can just smear some resin all over the box to get what i want?

Justin Croaby#22536

VHT makes a high temp clear that will do exactly what you want and you should be able to buy it at any auto parts store or I know for a fact that summit racing sells the stuff mail order
Good luck Justin