News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Buying new carpet

Started by Jack Miller, September 23, 2006, 01:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Miller

Hi All,

I am looking for a nice original style carpets for my 1961 Cadillac convertible.
Is one seller better than the other?
Are they all using the same material and with prices all over the place?
How are the ones on Ebay?
I am new at Caddys and I am doing this 61 solo from mechanical to body & paint work. (I will send out the top)
I am not doing a chassis off but I did scrape down the chassis and repaint and the same with the underbody.
There was no rust on the floor boards or from the doors back.
I did have some water get in and I just had to pull out all of the carpet and under felt and sound deadening material as it stunk and I didnt want to ruing the floor boards.
Tomorrow I will remove the surface rust on the inside floors, por-15 or rust encapsulator and paint them as they only have surface rust from this water.

Thanks
Jack

Fred Garfield 22310

Hi, Jack - Lots of us have had unhappy experience with POR-15. It just doesnt hold up over the years, cant be touched up and is a bear to remove. After you get the pans clean with Oxysolv (or whatever rust remover you use) and a wire attachment on a drill, try painting painting them with zinc phosphate and top-coating with Zero-Rust.

Jack Miller

Thanks Fred,

I will look into that

Jack