News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Early CLC Badge

Started by Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397, September 26, 2006, 03:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Theres a CLC cloissone badge on Ebay right now and it looks like the current one with the 1 4 8 V8 V12 V16 engine types, but instead of Est. 1958, it has 1902-1942 at the bottom.
Im guessing this is an early badge and only pre-WWII cars were welcome at the beginning.  Is that correct, Doug, or other early and/or charter members? When did that change?

Bob Hoffmann CLC #96

Hi Rusty, its an early badge, maybe the second one before the club accepted all those modern post-war cars. LOL Im not sure when that rule changed. Probably in the 70s. Bob

Richard Sills - CLC #936

When I joined the club in the late 60s, 1942 was the cut-off date for eligible cars.  The grille badges and the windshield decals at that time included the dates "1902-1942".  That is why the Clubs constitution (before the recent revision) referred to "recognized" Cadillacs and LaSalles -- Cadillacs later than 1942 were initially not "recognized" by the Club.  Fortunately that has changed and the Club now recognizes the benefit of preserving and enjoying Cadillacs of any vintage.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Yes, sir, the current policy is the correct one.  I am reminded of something one of the long-term CLC members once wrote in the Self-Starter. He said he drove his 41-60S to his first CCCA meet (in the late 50s, if I remember correctly) and parked it with the other members cars.  He was promptly told by one of the older members to please move it off the field and into the parking lot. "Son, what youve got there is just a used car".

Bob Hoffmann CLC #96

Rusty, thats how it was. In the beginning the 31 guys disliked the 41 cars, then later the 41 guys disliked the 51 cars and so on. Everyone thinks the newer cars are nothing but "used cars", which at the time may be true. But... time moves on. When I joined the club, the 41s were LESS than 25 years old. LOL, Bob

Doug Houston

When I joined the club, the 41 cars (Which is what I had [still have]), were only 18 years old. This was 1959, and there was yet to be a club emblem. Norm Uhlir and a couple others got together and designed a badge, which was made in Spein, and was done in enamels. The enamel didnt hold up well. Dave Holls then was head of the Chevrolet styling atudio, and had some of his lads work up the cloisonne design thet was the first iteration of the current one. They sold for $8.00 each. If I could post pictures here, Id put the picture of the first one here, but thinking of it, I believe that Yann may have it shown in his database.

T.L. (Ty) Stinson

Hello Doug:
The Big Question regarding "series 3" and added "E.O.S.".

I have a 37 V-12 that I have owned for about a year and a half. I run it at times in my garage to charge the battery. After running a few minutes the exhaust begins to smoke. The car had been stored as is since 1985(?).

I have changed the oil with a straight 30# non-detergent oil. Still cant drive it on the street yet. However, since I now have an hour or so on that oil, and it still smokes, should I change to the "series 3 and add E.O.S."? I dont remember if this is an 8 or 10 quart system but wonder if I should use one or two bottles of the E.S.O to the next complete oil change with series 3.
Ty Stinson
CLC #22330

Doug Houston

First of all, running the engine to charge the battery isnt the smartest way to do it. They have gadgets called battery chargers for that purpose. The engine should be run for a lot longer than half an hour or so, and under load to become hot enough to burn away the carbon that comes from running a not-so-warm engine. Its best to run the engine only when youre going someplace, and getting it up to temperature. In addition to all that, youre generating a lot of water in the exhaust system that rots out the muffler and pipes in very quick order. If for no ither reason, thats a good reason to have a stainless exhaust system on you car.