News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

$1421.59 for rebuild on 61 Transmission??

Started by Trent Mitchell, September 28, 2006, 06:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trent Mitchell

Is this excessive? It sure seems like highway robbery to me. The trans shop said that the rebuild kit was $325, so they are charging me about $1k in labor?

They originally estimated it at $800, and now they are saying that they were just quoting the labor before.

This seems like they are trying to stick it to me.

Trent

Eric Maypother CLC #15104

Hi,
I dont know, but Id call other shops in your area and see what they get.
Eric :)

Steve Cole #22466

Thats about what mine cost (also a 1961 tranny) up here in the Seattle area. I would also agree with you that it probably was on the high end but this shop came recommended to me. My rebuild was of the "deluxe" variety but I think the guy padded the cost of the rebuild kit. I was told by him that he gets his kits from Autotrans. Their deluxe kits cost about $305 but this guy charged me $470.

Oh well. I guess thats just part of the package when you buy a classic car.  :)

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

It isnt the cost of the parts to be replaced, it is the cost of the operator being trained to do something that you cannot do, or undertake yourself.

There is overheads, like the rent on the workshop, disposal of waste products, cleaning parts, and a lot of other stuff that people seem to forget about.

Plus, that is another reason why Doctors charge so much for a simple operation.   The overheads, oh, and the training.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Dick Heller

Trent Mitchell

Sounds like I might not have been taken to the cleaners then. They said that the original estimate over the phone was just for labor. (enter sarcasm)I guess they just expected me to figure out the rest of the estimate on my own. (exit sarcasm)

The place that I took it to specializes in the jet-away, and the hydros, which is why I took it there, so I am very confident that they did a great job. The difference in estimate and final cost just threw me off.

Thanks all!

Trent

Lucas F. CLC #15674

You have a Jetaway transmission in your 61. The Jetaway is a very good transmission but is very complicated (the Turbo Hydramatic introduced in 1964 is a much simpler design and is less costly to rebuild). I have heard quotes of $3K to properly rebuild a Jetaway, at least in my area. I think you are getting a deal. I just hope your mechanics know what they are doing.

Lucas F. CLC #15674
1963 Series 62 convertible

Ed Mobley

Having rebuilt my own Jetaway, and considering the time it takes to do a thorough job, you got a fair price.

Ed