News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

37 lasalle 5019 sidemounts

Started by Dan Wilson, October 01, 2006, 05:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Wilson

I would like to install welled fenders on my recently renovated 37 lasalle. Has anyone cut thier existing fenders and installed wells? I was told that years ago there were kits for this task. Any ideas would be appreciated

Dan  member 19483

Doug Houston

Theres  a lot more than cutting holes in the fenders, to put side-mounted spares on the car. There is bracketry, different front springs (Youre adding about 300 pounds to the front end) and different shock absorbers. There is also supposed to be information on the body name plate that tells if the car was made with side mounted spares. If you expect to have the car judged, you might hit a snag in authenticity because of this "vital" conversion. Since it is possible to have the Cadillac invoice for the car, you might need to prove that the car was built that way.

A few years ago, I was helping with Judging at a Buick meet in Flint. Heres a 37 Buick with sidemounts. Looked under the tire covers, and NOTHING! That kind of phoney baloney makes my blood boil. The dummy took a beating on authenticity.

Sure, I know that it isnt an old car unless you have fender wells, and two toned fenders and a floor shift (You already have that), but its still history the way it was built, and its easy to live with it. Youll play Hell putting on those fender wells, and having the proper hardware. Its a nice car the way it is. Whats wrong with THAT?

John Tozer #7946

Dan,

I have looked at this for another member once and the task is quite monumental. The Master Parts List nominates 27 seperate extra pieces (not counting the upgraded springs and suspension components that Doug refers to, not counting the welled fenders and not counting the wheel covers and wheel cover clamps). Of these 27 components (Thats 27 per side!) One of them is a complicated, multi-part fabrication that cradles the wheel in the well. The locking mechanism doesnt bear talking about as it is a complex set of special castings/forgings. The well gear was designed not just to have a wheel sit in there but to lock it in there as well.

Personally, I think 1935/36 were about the last years that welled fenders DIDNT start to look a bit wierd on these streamline era cars, except perhaps the bigger series cars. Stick with what you have and enjoy one of the most refined cars of this streamlined period.

Regards,

john Tozer

Dan Wilson

Thanks for your imput. My car is a low milage origional car maybe I should keep it that way. I am running out of improvements, all I need is runnning board stainless, and I am finding out that will be like trying to win the lottery for those 2 items.
Dan

Dan Wilson

Thanks John

do you have any spare 37 5019 running board trim? LOL

Dan

Bruce Berghoff -#1476

Dan... Northfield Forming in Clinton. OH makes accurate reproduction 37 Cadillac & LaSalle running Board stainless steel edge trim. Contact Dick Paskiet at (330)854-6003.

John Tozer #7946

Bruce,

Now THATS one phone number thats going to get a work out over the next few days! This trim would have to be the most sort after product for these cars.

Thanks for the lead.

John Tozer

Bill Sullivan

Dan:

I sure appreciate hearing that lead for running board trim lead, I look forward to getting those for my 37.

RE the sidemounts:  Having owned two other cars with sidemounts, I must say I am delighted that my 37 LaSalle does NOT have them.  Sidemounts are incredibly difficult to mount and dismount without scratching or damaging the car, many perfectly good tires will not fit inside, they rattle, make the car hard to clean, etc., etc.  I also agree with the others that converting a car to sidemounts is a very major task.  If you really want to do it, find a parts car with sidemounts, thats probably the only way you are going to find all the stuff you need to do the conversion right.

Bill
Albuquerque, NM