News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

58 Brougham tri power air filter

Started by Harry Carlson #16432, October 03, 2006, 10:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry Carlson #16432

Hokay,

I bought an air filter element from Billy Gilliand in Lyerly GA on eBay that was supposed to fit 58, 59 or 60 Cadillac Buick Olds tri-powers.  The element is huge but 1 inch smaller in diameter than the one in my 58 Brougham.  Did Billy send me the wrong one or is my Brougham tri-power air cleaner different than the other tri-powers?  The 58 Caddy service manuals say the power train in the Brougham is the same as other 58 tri-power Cadillacs.

The good news at least is that Billy has refunded my money whether or not I send the air cleaner back to him.

But I dont have a replacement air filter element.  Al Haas here in Detroit has offered to sell me one of his, and thats magnamimous, but Im still confused about whats going on.  Did the vender (Billy)just send me the wrong element?

Harry Carlson #16432

Morgan Murphy, #17409

Harry,

I bought an air cleaner today for my 1958 Eldorado Brougham for $76 (including shipping) from McVeys.  Craig swears it will fit, says theyve sold them to other Brougham owners, so I suppose it will work.

Shoot me an email in a week or two and Ill let you know.

Morgan

Lance Hirsch 13303

This message is a little old, but for future folks searching they might find my response useful.

I got my Brougham air filters off the shelf at a local auto parts store, probably NAPA or Auto Zone.  No problem.

Yes the Brougham Air Filter housings are different but not so that it changes the size of the filter.  They sit lower to account for the lower hood.  Try putting a regular tri-power housing on there and the hood wont shut.  They look the same if you set them side by side, but the recess on the bottom is deeper.  Its been a while since I checked.

Lance