News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

The under-appreciated 1980-81 Eldorado

Started by Andrew 10638, October 04, 2006, 10:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew 10638

In 1992, I purchased a 25 year old 1967 Eldorado for $2000, and , perhaps out of the regret of selling it 10 years ago, I have just purchased another 25 year old Eldo, a 1981 black w/beige interior for $2000.  It has the touring suspension, which was a precursor to the 82-85 Eldo Touring Coupe.  Apparently, I will be buying a 1995 model in the year 2020!!

Everyone likes the 79 Eldo because of the standard 350 EFI V-8, but I really dont care for the fake burl walnut of the 79s (hard to be snobby about plastic, but I am giving it a shot!).  In addition, EFI from 76-79 (and 1980 California Sevilles and Eldorados) was a antiquated engine management system by that time.  Bosch has developed it and it was used for Mercedes Porsche and Volvo applications up until the mid 70s.  The EFI on my 79 Fleetwood made me wish it had a Quadrajet.  Fast idle was really annoying!

The DFI (throttle body) of the 80-81 was much simpler and had great diagnostics.  I think Bob Templin in the Self Starter talked about this problem-free engine(other than v-6 vibration) that was killed off by mandatory EPA guidelines for 82, so they rushed the HT4100 to market(no hijacking, we know its a misunderstood boat anchor!!!)   Anyway, much has been said about the 368 V8, and I find it to be very peppy.  Not the rocket the 425 was in my 79 Fleetwood(since departed), but more than pleasant.  When I picked the car up, I drove it back in a torrential rain storm and got 16.7 miles per gallon over 400 miles.  The prior owner was a mechanic at a Cadillac dealer and rebuilt the engine using a standard 368 valve train, so that mileage is likely low, since the 8-6-4 feature was deleted.

The club makes a big deal over attracting the "youth" ticket, which I endorse heartily.  What they sometime forget, however, is that the young have, as a rule, less disposable income, so they have to focus on the bargains of the marque.  I think the 79-85 Eldo is a fantasic bargain.  Where else could you get a vey attractive 83-85 convertible for around $5000 or less?  The coupes are rarely above $3000, unless the low-mileage drives the price up.  I saw an 81 Eldo with low miles go for 12,000, but so do HT4100 versions

Im going to post a separate thread asking how to restore the "driver" 79-85 Eldo.  The GM interior of that era is very crummy!

I realize this posting has no real point, feel free to digress. . .