News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

voltage regulators

Started by Mike Simmons (938), October 05, 2006, 01:06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Simmons (938)

It is not uncommon to buy a new rebuilt part that was only identified on the box it came in- and nowhere on the unit. 50 years later, boxes and parts get scrambled. Carbs and coils come to mind, but I now have a regulator-allegedly 6 volts and positive ground, but with no info on it. Now, I only get 1.50 volts at the arm terminal, even after re-polarizing. Is there some way to tell what regulator I really have?

Rhino 21150

I dont know any way to identify it other than to compare it to known regulators. If it has been on the car for fifty years (did I interpret correctly?) it should be the right one, so adjust it according to the shop manual and it should work. Good luck!

mike simmons (938)

Rhino- The recently purchased 40 Cad had a VR adjusted for an 8-Volt battery, and I measured 8.5 volts. I replaced it with a new rebuilt in a box stating it was 6-volt, pos grd. But there is nothing on the regulator itself to ID it, and I am only getting 1.5 volts at the ARM connection. Thus, the question.

John Washburn

Mike,

I would suggest that you head down to your local Napa store and obtain a Napa (Echlin) Voltage Regulator VR 59. This is a 6 Volt Positive ground unit, best of all if you still have the Delco cover off your old regulator it will fit on this. Then it looks original, and works perfectly...

It is really a lot easier replacing the VR than trying to adjust and old regulator, that may have been rebuilt. If you dont have the equipment to adjust the VR you will just screw it up more.

That, in a nutshell, is my story.

John Washburn
CLC #1067
Elizabeth, Colorado

Mike Simmons (938)

Thanks, John- Will check out VR59. An old local Carquest store is now our only  NAPA store-BUT, it  looks like Kragen or Pep Boys- not like a REAL parts store. Will see if they will still special order older parts.

Porter

What year is the car ?

Napa shows the VR 59 for a 48 Cadillac.

Voltage Regulator
Available at NAPA stores. This part can only be purchased from your local NAPA Auto Parts store.   ECH
VR59  

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=430&PartNum=vr59 TARGET=_blank>http://www.napaonline.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=430&PartNum=vr59

John Washburn

Porter,

Guess Im dumber than a brick. The correct Napa application for a positive ground Voltage Regulator, for 1939 to 1942, small series Cadillac and LaSalle is......... VR 57.

1946/47 uses a Napa VR 56

1948 uses a Napa VR 59.

Now all the specs seem to be the same, but the VR 57 is for a positive ground system.

Oooooooooops.....

John Washburn
The Dummy
CLC #1067

Porter

John,

I find Napa online indispensible for looking up part #s, since I believe in Trust but verify. I look up all my part #s and then place my order, gotta keep an eye on those parts counter guys, plus I can check prices.

Rock Auto has a great website too.

Oils well that ends well. I guess even the old timers can learn from the youngsters occasionally, not very often but once in a blue moon.

Porter ( a young 51 )

John Washburn

Porter,

Since I cant remember this stuff, sometimes referred to as CRS, it is up to you to provide the correct info.

What was your name again?

They guy from Elizabeth, Colorado

Porter

John,

Always amazed to see the books you old time guys have collected with all the part #s and the decoding #s.

Part #s is always a hot topic here, I prefer to trust but verify myself and sometimes substitute a better part.

I found some Bosch silicone igntion wires for my 66 429, they are the wrong gray color  but they look spiffy and are better than the factory black graphite ones, same price too.

Still have to lose the commie red heater hoses, only temporary till I get my new heater control valve. Make sure you always ask for black heater hose (I found out the hard way at Napa, theyll give you the red stuff everytime, who started with the red heater hose anyway ? All other hoses are black).

Wrong color paint too, lilac poly, almost like that 1960 heather poly Joe Meneghin wants to paint his 60 DVC, light metallic purple, exactly what I wanted.

Wrong bright white vinyl top with incorrect newer elk grain that looks like leather, should be tuxedo grain for 66.

I did the autobody, paint and vinyl top myself, I aint no senators son, just my hobby . Prefer to turn wrenches anyway but we do it all ourselves.

A stock low mileage 66 CDV with little value, looks the way I want it to be, Im a Modified Chapter bad boy.

LOL,

Porter

Geoff Newcombe #4719

A stock low mileage 66 CDV with little value, looks the way I want it to be, Im a Modified Chapter bad boy.

He speaks the truth.

Porter

Geoff,

I have owned this car since 88, had 66K on it when I bought it, was my daily driver for two years , has 89K now , off the road since 1990, in a perpetual state of restoration. Once you remove the bumpers and trim for body and paint the black hole becomes a dim light at the end of the tunnel.

It was factory autumn rust poly, sort of a metallic brown/maroon, bland 60s color. Once the car was sprayed with 2K primer surfacer which was a mauve color that looked fantastic I bit the bullet, total color change, the front clip was removed for the resto anyway. Inside trunk lid, doors, door jambs, all repainted, huge job but shes a beauty now.

The Cadillac low value for the Plain Jane cars makes the hobby affordable for us, let the money bags chase after the Chevys and the muscle cars.

Porter

Geoff Newcombe #4719

Hi Porter,
I am familiar with your car having seen it on the MC&LC site, it is indeed a beauty.  Do you have the blue off of ALL of the whitewalls
yet?  :-)
Geoff