News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1965: replacement vacuum cups for the A/C etc

Started by Rob Kranenburg, October 07, 2006, 07:43:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Kranenburg

Hi,

I am trying to rebuild the comfort-control on my 65 convertible and have it work the way it was designed. Most of the parts are dusty but alright, but Im stumped on two problems:
- just about all of the vacuum-membranes are gone.
- the small round valves on the servo leak

The membranes vacuum cups dried out and crumbled. These things control the main servo, the heat-door, the A/C throttling valve etc. Ive been on all of the on-line sites that have old parts, and not much luck. That means that everyone must have these problems, so there must be someone out there selling replacements. I hope. Is anyone aware of where to get these, or how to fix the original pieces?

The small round control valves are in very decent shape, but the grease/wax that sealed them 40 years ago had crystalized and is no more. Without some kind of sealing grease, these things will probably leak pretty badly. What was the original yellow stuff they used to seal these (wax?), is it out there, is there a better way, ayy suggestions?

Any help would be much appreciated,

RK

Rob Kranenburg

Hi,

just pushing it back to the top of the heap.

I have a few cars, and on all of them the vacuum-pots that operate the heater-doors (59/60), the A/C system (65) and the carburetor A/C idle-up (65) are leaking or the membrane is plain gone.

Is there anyone who makes replacement parts?

If not, where do I find the drawings or specs on pressure vs travel-distance (or something like that), spring-loads and diaphram diameter? Ill have to get them made.

Does anyone else have these problems, does anyone else have broken membranes/diaphrams, and would anyone be interested in replacement parts? If I can get these made, what would be a reasonable price for these things?

RK

Geoff Newcombe #4719

Have you tried USA Parts Supply?  My 2006 1949-1970 Cadillac catalog shows what I believe you are looking for on page 46.  Maybe pricey, but ..... you needem, they gotem.      

http://www.usapartssupply.com TARGET=_blank>www.usapartssupply.com
800-872-2013 or 304-724-6600
Kearneysville, WV

Used? dBaer Cadillac at ......
http://www.cadillacville.com TARGET=_blank>http://www.cadillacville.com
shows ......
Mode door vacuum power unit -- 55.00                          
20percent-100percent vacuum power unit -- 55.00          

Rob Kranenburg

Hi

my older catalog shows 1 model, and it is very different from what I am looking for. But, I asked for the new catalog, and heres hoping.

I have not had much luck with deBear and a few others. The vacuum transducer is OK as an old part, you can even rework the neutral switch, but these membrane-cups are all toast. By now Ive spent probably close to $1000 on a bunch of old ones, almost all of them fail or at least leak, none work well, and its just not worth it.

My job regularly takes me to places like China and India, and Im  wondering if I should just get a box-full of these things made up. I would need the specs on membrane size, membrane material, and call it the compression-force (vacuum-pressure vs travel-distance) of the spring/membrane though. Also, if I do get them made, I might as well get enough to help out others too.

Hence this post. What are people looking for? Is this a common problem, or do I just have a jinx on mine?

RK