News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Rim Blower Steering Wheel Option

Started by Brian Laurance, October 09, 2006, 01:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Laurance

Oldsmobile and Buick both offered a "rim blower steering wheel" option during the 1969 - 1971 time period.  

Did Cadillac offer this option?

If so, is anyone aware of a resource for restoration of these steering wheels, which were known to deteriorate badly over time?

The soft, squeezable portion of the inner steering wheel rim, which was used for honking, develops dead spots, and a woodgrained foil was used to cover the boundary between the inner steering wheel rim and the outer, hard plastic rim.  This foil typically deteriorates.

I appreciate any help you can furnish.

Jack Mcilwraith #10584

Cadillac did offer a "rim blow" wheel.My 1969 Eldorado had one- my wife kept blowing the horn on turns-from the way she was holding it.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

If youre thinking of converting your car to one of those wheels, I would definitely think twice about it as it was one of GMs poorer brainstorms.  My dads 1969 Oldsmobile Delta 88 had it and he hated it because he always drove with a firm grip on the wheel (probably because he learned to drive in the early 1920s when steering was hard work and blowouts were common). That was the car I learned to drive in and I remember the woodgrained strip on the wheel, but I didnt realize it had a purpose except to match the plastic wood on the instrument panel.

Brian Laurance

Actually, no plans to add this option.

But there are a couple of us with very original cars having this option, and, given its rarity now, wed like to preserve this option on our cars.  For that reason, we hope to learn whether anyone is capable of restoring these.

John #22631

1969 was the ONLY year Cadillac offered this option. They realized how poor of a design it was and quickly discontinued it.

As for restorers, non are know to me at this time. You might want to check out a 68 wheel. They are almost identical, but with a center blow horn pad.

John

Bob Dziewit

The rim blow horn was standard in 1969, not an option.

Lou CLC19028

Try this place , I had my 70 wheel restored by them.. A1 job.. Check out the photos of the restored 69 wheel
http://www.dealsonwheels.com/parts/garys/ TARGET=_blank>http://www.dealsonwheels.com/parts/garys/

Lou

Brian Laurance

Lou, thanks so much for providing the link to this resource.  I appreciate the help.

anthony 20485

I have a 69 Eldo, was quoted a price of $450.00 to repair wheel.

Lars Kneller 8246

When I first got my license my stepfather had a 72 Mercury Monterey Custom that had a rim blow.  I think it was an option as the car was fairly well optioned for a Monterey.  I used to enjoy going down the road and blowing the horn.  My passengers couldnt figure out how I did it without taking my hands off the wheel.  As far as I remember the wheel held up fine.