News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Sabre Wheels

Started by Paul Flykt CLC # 18899, October 12, 2006, 12:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Flykt CLC # 18899

I am considering sabre wheels for my 57 CdV. The question I have is what can I expect to pay have a set restored? I realize it is all dependant on the condition of the cores etc. Lets just say minimal pitting and no damage to the rim it self,ie:  overall a good driver set to start with.
My next question is will any years sabre wheel fit 57?
Thanks for any replys
Paul

Geoff Newcombe #4719

Here are 3 different posts I found using the SEARCH function up there on your right.  I have chrome sabres on my 60, the front ones require spacers.             ______________________________________________________________

r parkinson clc 12511

Friday, 11/04/05 3:44 PM    
I found 5 NOS sabres for my 55. They were in an estate. What a find. However, if you examine them closely you will see that the chrome techniques werent that great in 55. The little valleys created a problem for the chroming process. If I were to do it over I would take some ratty sabres to the Finishing Touch guys in Chicago. For about $250 per wheel, they will strip the chrome down to the aluminum and then polish it. Ive seen the finished product and it is awesome. This is good unless you are trying for authenticity.

Barry Wheeler #2189

Dont forget, the 1955/56 ones are different from the 1957-58 ones due to the front brake drum shape. If you get the wrong ones, they will not bolt up without a spacer. GM made spacers available around 1958 so they could try to sell the left over gold ones from 55-56. You can tell from the valve stem indent, except I cant remember which one is which.

Mike D #19390

Thursday, 11/10/05 10:17 AM    
To determine the right rims for your car, here are the Sabre parts numbers:

Turbine Chrome:
1955-6, Series 60 & 62: 1463918
1955-6, Series 75 & CC: 1464759

Turbine Gold
1955-6, Series 60 & 62: 1465348
1955-6, Series 75 & CC: 1465353

Turbine Chrome only:
1957-8, Series 60 & 62: 1466798
1957-8, Series 75 & CC: 1466799

Michael Stamps 19507

Thanks Paul for asking this as I was about to ask the same.  I just got my set from ebay yesterday.  In addition to your questions what shops are recommended and where can the center caps be found for a reasonable price?

Stampie

john k

In 1972 I put a set of Sabres off a 57 on my 64 Cad. 30-some years later, I took them off. Never a spacer, never a balancing or other problem except they started to leak at the rivets and I got tired of using inner tubes. Also they finish started to deteriorate. I had the same set on my 64 Cad hearse for about the last 10 years but went back to factory steel wheels for my two 64 Cads. If the wheel studs are 5 x 5 the sabres will fit. needing spacers is a whole different story.

Chris Short CLC 18814

Hello,
    So did the spacers go around the wheel studs??  Cuz Ive got several sabre wheels around here that Im trying to make a nice set for my 55 Eldo.  Some of the wheels bolt up just nice but then I have a couple that the holes that the wheel studs go through are just way to big.  It doesnt look drilled out or anything like that.  The wheel looks completely factory.  Does anybody know where I could get some of these spacers??  Or are they long gone...
Thanks,
Chris

Paul Flykt CLC # 18899

Thank you for the replys especially Geoffs. Barrys info will be helpful if I decide to persue a set of sabres.

Geoff Newcombe #4719

Because of the size of the brake drums, my 60 required spacers on the front only.  3/8" from ebay (used), they were the minimum thickness that would work and I could not find them new, although other thicknesses were esy to find new.  They were not the spacers Cadillac provided, I have never seen those.  All of the stud holes on my sabres were the correct size

Bill Kaufman #15225

Howdy,

Judging by previous post is it fair to assume that the Sabre wheels were only available on new 55 56 57 58 cads? And would they fit a 54 Coupe?

BIll

Chris Short CLC 18814

Hi Geoff,
    Well now Im really wondering what I have here.  Ill have to measure holes tomarrow and post the size.  But some of the wheels the mounting holes are correct fit with the stud.  Then a couple others I have have like a 7/8" hole.  Its big. ;)  And also these wheels dont have the beval for the lug nuts to seat in.  Its a flat hole.  I cant see how they would ever put a spacer in around the studs..  That would be unsafe I would think.  Or did this wheel have special nuts??
Chris

Geoff Newcombe #4719

Chris,
I have no idea what youve got.  Sounds almost like someone in the past tried to modify those wheels to fit something else.  You say you have several and are trying to make up a set, hopefully you have enough without having to use the ones with the large hole(s), I wouldnt use them.  Maybe someone else will see your posts and be able to offer some assistance.  Or possibly a wheel rebuilding company can repair them for you.  Good luck.

Cliff Graubard-1430

I have a set of 5 41098 that are real nice "driver" quality. I think I have new hubaps, I will check and let you know.

James Mundstock

I have read all the messages on the sabers. No one seemed to mention there are two different types of construction. I just bought two sets at Hershey. One set had a steel rim from bead to bead and the aluminum was the center riveted to the steel rim. The second set I bought had the back half steel from the rivit flange to the inner bead and the aluminum was from the rivit flange to the outer bead. Therefore one bead was steel and the other aluminum. This was the first time I saw this construction. I bought this second set from a retired Cadillac dealer. He pointed to me where it was stamped 54 on the steel part which meant it was for the 55 model year and the all steel rim set had 55 stamped on it for the 56 model year. Does anyone know if this is correct and if the two piece rim is correct for 55 did they have problems with them to change the construction for the 56 through 58? Am I also correct that they werent available in 1954? Thanks for this discussion getting started.

Mike Simmons (938)

Chris- It sounds like you are describing a wheel that uses a lug nut typical of many Mag wheels. Since the all-aluminum wheels tend to be much thicker (.800 ") at the mounting flange, the lug nut has an extended "neck" that goes through the rim and internal threads then can get a good grip on the relatively short (.860 " on my 55 Olds and 40 Cad) stud. Your tire store will have a stock of the correct lug nuts if you wish to use those wheels. They dont sound like Cad products to me, though.

Doug Lemon

There is one on ebay.ca now  $9.99   item number 250045728975