News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Advice on 1949 welcome

Started by Sam Moore #21210, October 13, 2006, 10:06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam Moore #21210

I just purchased a 1949 61 Series 4-door sedan this week that I hope to enjoy while restoring my 56 convertible over the next few years.  The car is a driver with what I believe is an actual mileage of 85,000.  The guy that I bought it from only had it for about a month and said that the previous owner had gotten the car from long-term storage.  Other than that, he didnt know a lot of details.  It appears to be an older, non-professional, cosmetic restoration and is fairly presentable.  I understand that the brake system was rebuilt and noticed an auxillary 6-volt fuel pump had been added.  I am currently getting familiar with the vehicle and sorting it out before driving it very far.  My initial plans are to drop the oil pan and rocker covers and do a little de-sludging (may have to test/clean or replace hydraulic lifters, as they are noisy).  Hopefully, theres not an oil pressure problem.  The dash oil pressure gauge shows about 1/4 scale after warming up and a little more when cold (54s call for 30-35 lbs up to 30 M.P.H.).  If the dash gauge can be trusted, it may be running a little low if the 49 specs are the same as 54.  The oil hasnt been changed yet and I have no idea what kind is in it.  I immediately ordered the Detroit Iron CD shop & parts manual, as I only have 54 & 56 manuals.  Now, heres a question for the Hydramatic experts: The transmission seems to work O.K. except for having to turn off the ignition to move the gear selector out of reverse once it is engaged.  Maybe this is something simple that someone will recognize.  Also, any other 49-specific advice would be appreciated.

John Washburn

Sam,

Im no transmission expert, but helped work on one 49 with the same problem. We tried lots of stuff, nothing worked. Finally, set the engine idle to the correct specs and transmission would then come out of reverse quite easily.

So check to see if the idle is set to high...

Just a guess...

John Washburn
CLC #1067

Sam Moore #21210

Thanks Jay, for your advice. I also spoke by phone with Mr. William Sessler (one of our volunteer 49 technicians listed on this website)and he mentioned the same probable cause. I reduced the idle speed and sure enough, that took care of it.

Sam Moore #21210

John,
The reply that said Thanks, Jay should have said Thanks, John. Just trying to give thanks where its due. I had corresponded with Jay Friedman outside the forum.

Jay Friedman

Sam,

Assuming your gauge is working correctly, I think your oil pressure is a little low. Normally, a 49 engine will have 30-35 lbs. of pressure at any speed greater than idle, which is halfway up or in the middle of the gauge.

Jay Friedman

Sam Moore #21210

Thanks, Jay
I thought it might be a little low. An oil change did improve it somewhat. I have no idea what kind of oil was in it. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I do plan to remove the oil pan for cleaning and will check the pump against specs then.