News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1977-1992 RWD Broughams

Started by Barry M. Wheeler #2189, October 16, 2006, 03:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

Just a note to advise anyone owning one of these cars, that if they are comtemplating taking the dash off either to get to the dash, or replacing it, that they purchase a 7MM nut driver to get the two (totally unnecessary) nut screws out from the bottom top of the speedometer and the top portion of the glove box. Also, once you get them out, dont put them back in. I think the spring clips in the center will keep any rattles out, and will aleviate any other member facing the same problem I am. Evidently, some workman tightened these nuts too far, and now they are stripped, so that I cant take them out. Even holding the ends of the dash up as far as possible wont let them bite into the threads. So, I am presently trying to cut the screws horizontally with a keyhole hacksaw blade by placing a block of wood between the tell tales and the dash top. I am making a trip to town tonight to get a new blade, hopefully which will cut into the screw rapidly. I did get the dash top off the other 79, so I can see that I wont be cutting into anything important.

Lars Kneller 8246

Id try a dremel tool with the cut-off wheel.

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

Lars, how would you get a cut-off wheel into that small area? The screw is set too far back for those small wheels to hit. In any case, I did get it off. The RH one I was able to use a one-ended hack saw. The other, I was having trouble, and tried One last time with the nut-driver to undo it, and lo and behold, it did catch the threads.
When I got the cover off, I found that I had missed the screw, and was cutting into a section of metal.
The bad part was that the sensor I was trying to get to wasnt the reason Im getting no heat. Switched the dash control from the 79 CDV that I know works, and still no heat. Brrrrr!