News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

37 Cadillac Imperial Limousine

Started by Ken, October 17, 2006, 05:48:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

Hi
Can anybody advise how many Imperial Limousines were made in 1937 and possibly provide some photos or information to assist me to identify an unrestored example.?
Also, what is the difference between a Fleetwood and a Imperial
I have been involved with car restoration for a few years but not with Cadillac.

Ken
From the land down under :))

Johnny #662

Quote from: KenHi
Can anybody advise how many Imperial Limousines were made in 1937 and possibly provide some photos or information to assist me to identify an unrestored example.?
Also, what is the difference between a Fleetwood and a Imperial
I have been involved with car restoration for a few years but not with Cadillac.

Ken
From the land down under :))

Imperial Sedan, 7 -passenger     24   (5775)
Imperial Cabriolet, 7 -passenger 3    (5775FL)
Imperial Brougham, 7 -passenger  1    (5775SF)

*Limosine Brougham, 7 -passenger 1    (5791)

john fotakis

Hi Ken. Im sure youll get more satisfying responses soon. According to the "Standard Catalogue" of cadillacs there were "limousine broughams" in 1937, offered in 3 different series. series 75 -V8, series 85- V12  and series 90- V16. These were all 7 passenger cars. No individual production totals are offered but for example there were 14 other body styles offered for the v16 of 1937 in addition to the limousine brougham and in total only 50 V16s were made. There is a decent picture of a V8 Fleetwood in the book. I hope I have interpreted the data correctly. More than happy to be corrected on any if not all of the above.  Good luck!

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Fleetwood was a custom body company in Pennsylvania which Cadillac acquired. The name Fleetwood was used by Cadillac for decades to denote its upper line(s) whether or not a particular car had a custom body. Fleetwoods were sometimes longer than the regular Cadillac line and always had different exterior details and a fancier interiors. As for the Imperial nomenclature, for many years Cadillac didnt call their cars with divider windows limousines, instead using the term Imperial. A Fleetwood Imperial Touring Sedan for Seven Passengers would be what most companies called and what most people would identify as a limousine. Also, the division window itself was often referred to by Cadillac as an "Imperial Division".

Johnny #662

From 80 Years of Cadillac LaSalle by Walter M.P. McCall:

Among the most practical and popular body styles in the Cadillac Series 75 line for 1937 were the big seven-passenger sedans.  Four basic versions were offered, all by Fleetwood and all on the same 138-inch wheelbase chassis. The Series 37-75 Special Touring Sedan for Seven Passengers, Style 7523-S was priced at $2710; next came the Special Touring Imperial Sedan, Style 75-33-S, at $2910.  The standard Seven-Passenger Touring Sedan, Style 7523 had a factory price of $3070 and the Touring Imperial Sedan, Style 7533, carried a $3270 price tag.  In the Series 85 V-12 line, the Seven Passenger Touring Sedan cost $3790 and the companion Imperial Seven Passenger listed at $3990.  All of these models were virtually identical in appearance.

Ken

Hi Guys, thank you for the replies.
Sorry that I did not state that the car I am heading off soon to look at is a V8 7 passenger sedan. A bit of other info: No trunk, 6 wheel equipment, glass divider window, rear quarter windows wind open. All the info that I have is verbal and I am really looking forward to seeing the car in the flesh. Apparently it is complete except for the hood ornament and runs as it was last on the road in 1998.

Ken

Frank

Imperial is a Chrysler Corporation badge name, soon to be resurrected as a Bentley look-a-like with suicide doors built on an extended DaimlerChrysler 300 Mercedes platform.

Frank

Dennis Riordan

Ken, Go for it.

FYI, three months ago I purchased a 1933 7 passenger Imperial Sedan (Limosine.)  I understand it was on display at the Blue Ridge Auto Museum in Martinsville, Virginia since July 2005.

I posted a question about my vehicle on this web site on August 7, 2006.  Although I didnt get any response to my specific question, I must say that I learned a lot by reading the answers to your original posting.  

This is a great club and a great service to all.

Since it is clear there are some expertshistorians out there, Ill ask my question again:  Does anyone have any info about my 1933 Cadillac Imperial Sedan prior to it being placed in the Museum in Virginia? The Job Number on my vehicle is listed as 33-8-269.

Thanks to all.

Dennis Riordan

Ken, Go for it.

FYI, three months ago I purchased a 1933 7 passenger Imperial Sedan (Limosine.) I understand it was on display at the Blue Ridge Auto Museum in Martinsville, Virginia since July 2005.

I posted a question about my vehicle on this web site on August 7, 2006. Although I didnt get any response to my specific question, I must say that I learned a lot by reading the answers to your original posting.

This is a great club and a great service to all.

Since it is clear there are some expertshistorians out there, Ill ask my question again: Does anyone have any info about my 1933 Cadillac Imperial Sedan prior to it being placed in the Museum in Virginia? The Job Number on my vehicle is listed as 33-8-269.

Thanks to all.

Dennis Riordan

Member 23308
1933 7 Passenger Imperial Sedan

DJW #13918

I think Rusty has it right, at least for the late thirties through the 40s era. The nomenclature may be different for earlier years but I beleive all 60s, 63, 72, 75 and 90 series were Fleetwoods. Without divider windows would have been "touring sedans" in these series.

John Tozer #7946

Ken,

Im guessing you have bought Holden body number 3 (?13) from David Tynan. If not I would be very interested to hear of another survivor - I have Holden body number 5.

I have a lot of information on these cars from Matt Larson from the US Club and Historical Centre including the original engine numbers etc.

They were style 7513 and classified 75 series 7 passenger Imperial Touring sedans - the "Imperial" indicating the divider between the front and rear compartments and the "Touring" indicating that they had no boot(trunk).

15 of these cars were built world wide - 6 came to Australia as CKDs to be assembled (and modified in some respects as it happens) by GM Holden. The other known destinations were:

Body 11 - Cadillac Chicago Branch.
Body 10 - Sao Paulo, Brazil.
Body 5  - Santiago, Chile.
Body 14 - Shanghai, China (right hand drive).
Body 15 - Chicago Branch.
Body 16 - Philadelphia, Penn.
Body 19 - Baltimore, Maryland.
Body 18 - Chicago Branch.

The destination of the 15th car is not known. The body numbers are for Fleetwood cars, not Holden so there is, for example, two body number 5s - mine (GM Holden) and the one that went to Chile (Fleetwood).

If you have the ex-Tynan car then I have a photo of it at the funeral for the Commonwealth Ministers etc. killed in the "Air Disaster" on the approach to Canberra Airport in 1940. You can view it on the Australian War Memorial web site by searching the Collection Database for item 002598.

Let me know if I have the right car.

Regards,

John Tozer
Canberra

Ken

Hi John
Thank you for the information which clears up most of my queries. I was not aware of another car in Canberra, small world isnt it as I am in Canberra as well. Any chance of having a look at your car particularly if it is restored and complete? Would be nice to have a chat to a knowledgeable local.

Ken