News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1941 Optional interior rear view mirror

Started by V.Milke, CLC member, October 17, 2006, 12:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V.Milke, CLC member

Hi:

I just got such a mirror from ebay but I doubt if it is original or not. I have seen bad pictures of the original mirror and it shows a pretty squarish tab to change from day to night settings veruss the later 40s mirrors in which the tab has a curved shape. The mirror I got has this tab but it says Monarch. Can anybody shed some light here?

Thanks,
Victor

Sam Moore #21210

Hello Victor,
The inside rear-view mirror in my 49 has GLARE-PROOF GUIDE stamped on the rounded tab at the bottom. It looks just like the Guide mirror in McVeys catalog for circa 1939 to 1949. Mine has an amber tint to it.

Doug Houston

The No Glare mirror first appeared in 1941, though possibly some were available in 1940, too. The mirror frame was a two-piece design and  part of it tilted with the glass. There was lettering on the bottom of the tilt section, saying something like: Glare Proof, and the name: Guide (I have one on one of my 41 Cadillacs, but cant get to it just now). The glass was tinted amber on them.

Following WWII, the design of the mirror was changed, and the frame of the mirror didnt tilt, but only the glass did. The early versions of the mirror wer also tinted amber, but probably around 1948 or so, the glass was clear. The postwar mirrors had a tab at the bottom of the frame, attached to the glass inside it, and the lettering: No Glare Guide was on the tab. No other name, such as Monarch was on the GM Guide mirrors.

Quite possibly, you have an aftermarket mirror.

V.Milke

Doug and Sam:

Thanks. It seems I have an aftermarket mirror then... sad thing...

Thanks for your help,

Victor