News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

73 Cad Generator Light

Started by Phil, October 18, 2006, 02:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil

Hey,

I have an issue when driving my 73 coupe.  I have had the alternator changed twice and tested numerous times after that but after 20 minutes of driving, my Generator light will come on then go back off periodically.  However, it is charging but the light is annoying and you just never know when it could really be going bad.  The battery cables are fine.  I have had this problem for two months and the car is charging because the alternator would have died by now but want to know what or where it could be?  Could it be behind the dash behind the Generator light gauge?  Any help would be appreciated as I am trying not to take it to an electic shop but looks like that is where I am headed.

Thx,  Phil

Geoff Newcombe #4719

Check your fuses, had a similar problem on a Chevy, alternator was fine but a fuse was blown and somehow current was feeding back through the generator (er... alternator) warning light.  Took the car to my friendly mechanic whom I used when I got myself in trouble and he knew the answer right away.  Dont remember which fuse, it was a long time ago, hope your problem is that simple.

joe 12138

Ill be interested in this one; mine (73 Eldorado)  just started doing this tonite! I Did check alternator voltage at Battery. 14.75 volts w/ car running; 12.72 with car shut down. This never happened before.I see no reason for the light to be on......Headlites, accessories, etc made no difference if on or off......

Geoff Newcombe #4719

I would be interested too.  All to often a problem is presented, suggestions are given, and we never again hear from the original poster with the final solution to the problem.

How bout it Phil, find the answer to your problem yet?

bill henry