News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Help with Lincoln Rear Air Suspension Please

Started by Joe, October 22, 2006, 10:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

SOCCER DAD NEEDS HELP!

Lincoln Town Car â€" The rear air suspension bags are have leaks, they look like two liter plastic coke bottles.  The Lincoln mechanic allowed all the air to come out of the bags which made the rear-end drop to the ground, the mechanic should have put the car on a drive up lift, not a lift that permitted the wheels to dangle.  Lincoln insisted there was no MANUAL override to inflate the air suspension bags and that the compressor was not strong enough to inflate the air suspension bags.  I drove home with rear-end bottoming out.  I jacked both sides of the rear of the car and let it run for 45 minutes.  The bags filled and this lasted for a week.  Now the rear end is on the ground again, and I do not hear the compressor kicking on.  Is there a RESET button for the under hood compressor?  The trunk toggle switch is in the ON position.

Assuming the compressor is shot and the air suspension bags need to be replaced, would spring-coiled shock absorbers do the trick?

Thanks,

Bob

Porter

Those systems all fail in due time: compressor quits and or the air bags leak.

Either stay with air suspension or go for the coil springs, your call. Not cheap either way.

http://www.arnottindustries.com/ TARGET=_blank>http://www.arnottindustries.com/

Joe

Thank you, the quoted price for the back is $129.00 cheaper than Lincoln parts department.

Michael Stamps 19507

Bob/Joe,
  Why isnt the mechanic that screwed up paying for this?

Stampie

Porter

My friend had a 93 Continental with this problem, leaking rear air bags and the compressor was shot. I found that source for them, these dealer parts are just as bad as the Cadillac suspensions, dealer hose job.

They sold the car as a low rider for $ 750, hard to justify a $1,500 parts and labor air suspension job or a coil spring conversion on a car that old but the spring job will make the air ride problem go away for good.

Isnt there a Lincoln club message board ? LOL

Porter

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Joe,

I would be going straight back to the Lincoln Mechanic, or whoever he works for.

All reputable workshops are covered for such things when their employees mess up.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

dale jackson

My 1992 towncar the air bags had holes them. It went all away ground I could not drive it anymore.

I paid 199 for the coil spring conversion kit and paid 100 mechanics  to convert it. It still runs and drives good but ride is hard.

The kit totol replace air pump, drier , air bags sensors cost over 599. I chose the cheap way out since my car had 253000 miles on car and was wore out.

If you go the 599 replace the intire system becides just one air bag . The pumps need the drier replaced each time anything is replaced.

Your mechanic may have lefht the switch of in truck of car if had to pull an wheel off car to fix it.  You may just need to turn switch back in truck of car. He may have turned it off and forgot turn it on.

Dale

dale jackson

Here is company I bought my parts from . They ship fast. I bought my kit here, http://www.strutmasters.com/products.htm TARGET=_blank>http://www.strutmasters.com/products.htm

Dale

Joe

Lincoln dealer offered to absorb 1/2 the labor charge but no responsibility for parts.  Total estimate is $1,400.

Joe

Geoff Newcombe #4719

What year is this car?  Is it worth that kind of expense?  Sounds like coil springs would be the way to go.  

Not that it really matters, but are you a member of the C&LC, Joe?  I just cant help but keep wondering why these questions are being asked here instead of at a Lincoln website where the Lincoln experts would be.  Not that you havent gotten some good advice here.