News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

NEED HELP TO LINE UP THE HOOD IN MY 41 60S

Started by FRANK STAGNITTO, October 24, 2006, 01:40:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FRANK STAGNITTO

CAN SOME ONE ADVISE ME AS TO HOW I CAN GET A PERFECT FIT ON MY HOOD TO THE FENDERS?  ARE THERE ANY ARTICLES IN THE PAST ISSUES OF THE SELF STARTER?  I KNOW THAT THERE ARE 3 BOLTS ON EACH SIDE  OF THE HOOD AND I NEED TO KNOW WHERE TO START AND WHICH BOLTS TO START ON.  YOUR HELP & ADVICE IS APPRECIATED.

FRANK STAGNITTO CLC #13539

JIM CLC # 15000

0-23-06
Frank, I dont know a lot about aligning the hood. I have seen body shop people play around with the hood and doors trying to align them and after a while they would either thank it was good enough or else give-up and call it good enough for government work and let it go at that.
Sorry I could not be more helpful. I guess what IM saying is to find an old retired body shop worker and buy him a six-pack for his time and turn him loose on your car.
Good Luck,JIM

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Frank,

This subject has been mentioned in past threads, and for the fife of me, I cant find them for you.

There was much discussion on the matter, and the correct way was mentioned, so it might pay to try a few keywords in the Search feature.   But, Hood Alignment doesnt reveal anything.   I tried that.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Bill Hamilton, CLC#16219

Frank,

I have a 42 7523. The hood latches and hinges are the same on both years. The key to this is to align the fenders and grill to the hood, not the other way around. The shop manual instructions say to align the hood to the cowl first and then align the sheet metal to the hood. I have the 42 shop manual, which has instructions for aligning the front sheet metal. I can scan and E-mail them to you if you wish.

Bill Hamilton

Harry Scott

Frank, I scanned Comments On 41 Hood Alignment done some time ago by Doug Houston and sent it by seperate email. Doug, I just finished installing the hood and grille on my 67 series and with your instructions and a couple of days of twiking it looks good.

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

An added note I have posted before. When aligning and working on your hoods, NEVER take the hood rubber bumpers out, or leave the cowl rubber out, and close the hood, or you will never get the hood back open without scarring your paint. When you close it without these items, it scoots back against the cowl indent, and literally locks up. I had to take a screwdriver and push the hood forward to get it loose. Also, the 60S is prone to getting cock-eyed so that you break the hood lip. Be alert for this. Use an old one if you have it to finish aligning things.

nasser

Frank:
  Follow the shop manual instructions and what Bill and the other contributers have said, after that you will encounter some misalignments that the shop manual will not cover. You have at least three places where you must use shimms. Shimming these places will correct most uneveness or (God forbid) rubbing. These places are:
1- The radiator support.
2- Left and right of the front fenders at the rear mounting bolts
Good luck and keep us posted.
Dr. Nasser,