News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Underseat heating

Started by Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397, October 26, 2006, 09:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

1940 was the first year for the automatic heating system (aka underseat heaters).  What was the last year? I know the 49s could have them, but dont know if they were the last.

Paul W Allen CLC#20193

Rusty,

At least through 1953. After looking at the Master Parts Book, it looks like 1953 was the last year for it.

Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Thanks, Paul. Looks like underseat heating and the Hydro-Lectric system went away about the same time.

Art Woody

I have a good friend and proud owner of a 54 Buick coupe that is equipped with under seat heater.

Paul W Allen CLC#20193

Ah Ha! Maybe it was just the caddies then? NO! Art, you are correct. I just took another look in the parts book. It appears that the 54-56 75 Series and the 59 75 Series had rear underseat heaters. No underseat heaters are listed for 57 & 58s. My book only goes up to 59, so I cant tell if the higher years had them.

Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Doug Houston

There were two types of underseat heaters. The ones used by Cadillac and Oldsmobile were recirculating types, while those used by Buick and Pontiac had fresh air intakes. Nice idea until road slop would leak into them.

Chevrolet had underseats on the passenger side in 1941, and possibly through 1948, all recirculating types. You had to cut a hole in the foor pan to install it. Cadillac and Olds had a removable panel in the floor pan (2 of them on Cadillac; one on Olds)if the U/S heaters were not installed. However they were, they heated the car rather niicely.

The Cadillac 56 for sure, but I believe also the 54-55 had the dual fresh air cowl heaters, and underseats in the 75 bodies.

The bugaboo about the underseats was the toroidal heater core. If it leaked, it was curtains for it.

Rhino 21150

I thought the 37 through 39 had underseat heaters, but they were manually controlled. There is a removeable plate on my 38 in the floor under the seats. Toroidal heater cores can be rebuilt by folks who advertise on Hemmings.com.