News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

ALC pump material

Started by Viator Trudeau #8697, November 05, 2006, 07:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viator Trudeau #8697

The pump diaphram on my ALC pump is split. Alight coat of RTV works for a while.  Has any one found a readly available material to replace the diaphram, like rain coat matl.??  Must be some thing out there in this day and age that could be used. Thank for any help.  Viator Trudeau

JIM CLC # 15000

11-05-06
Viator, I dont know anything about the ALC pump, But, I think I changed the ALC pump on my 1986 Cadillac because the bearing took a nose dive(so to speak). But to get back to your problem, could you use fuel pump material? I would think that it would stand-up to the task for a while.
HTH
Good Luck,JIM

Jan #17589

Viator,
Have you tried Frank Smith? He is an expert on the old ALC compressors.
His mailaddress is(was?) : f.x.smith@att.net. His Ebay nick is ALCFX.
You can also try : http://www.hadley-products.com/ TARGET=_blank>http://www.hadley-products.com/
They are selling pump material for more modern pumps, but I know others have used their pump diaphragm material. It is worth a try
Regards
jan

Mike #19861

Viator,

I have made many false starts in attemting to find or reproduce these diaphragms. The compressors were originally made by Hadley Corp. (still in business producing air related products for the truck industry). They scrapped the tooling for these compressors many years agao.

They contracted out the production of the diaphragms to a company in Alabama(?). This company in turn contracted out the heat forming of the material.

The material in itself is still available, but the expense is in the tooling to heat forming them.

The supply of new original diaphragms has pretty much dried up, and there are only used ones available at this time.

Unless, someoone out there with access to a good tooling company can see to it that they can be reproduced.

Mike

denise 20352

I actually have no idea what this thing looks like, but I make all sorts of rubber parts out of inner tubes, and that was the first idea that came to mind.

-d