News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

LaSalle part interchangeablility

Started by Rod Frazer #23156, November 06, 2006, 10:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod Frazer #23156

Does anyone know of interchangeable parts for the steering wheel, the small 10 hubcaps, or the rocker panel chrome strips for a 39 LaSalle model 5027?

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

Rod, if no one gets to you sooner, I will try to check the Master Parts Book tonight. I have to finish setting up my polling place first. A lot of Series 50 parts are the same for 1939 and 1940.

Bruce Berghoff - #1476

Rod... While Barry attempts to find all of your goodies in the Cadillac bible Ill take a shot from memory .... so here goes : First of all Im thinking youre referring to a banjo wheel? If so, the wheel is the same for all Series Cadillacs and LaSalles in 1939 and 1940 as is the horn ring, however the horn button is unique to the 39 LaSalle only.Re: the 10 hubcaps...they are the same for Cadillac and LaSalle from 1937 through 1940, however the center emblems are unique to 1939 LaSalle. Now for the rare rocker panel chrome (actually stainless steel) strips. There are three per side on both the 1939 and 1940 50 Series only that are identical. 1940 Series 52 are similar, but dont be fooled.... they are a different length and cross-section ! There might be a slight difference in the length of the LaSalle strips between a coupe and a sedan ... I cant recall ?
   If youre hunting ...Good Luck finding nice strips . Unfortunately I just sold a beautiful set last month !

Doug Houston

The Banjo wheel for 1938 was a tan color for the 38-50,60,60S cars, and no 38 cars had a horn ring. The rest of the 38 cars had a darker brown wheel and again, no horn ring.

All of the 40  cars, both Cadillac and LaSalle had off-white plastic on the steering wheel, and the banjo spokes had an offset to clear the horn ring.

Bruce Berghoff

Doug... I think if you checkLaSalle - Cadillacs Companion Car page 342 under Standardized Colors youll find that not all of the 1940 LaSalles had off-white plastic on their steering wheels. Actually about 1/4 of the wheels I get for remolding are a putty grey color that have yellow oxydized over the years from their original cooler grey color. Apparently LaSalle ( and possibly Cadillac) offered a tan plastic coordinated with some interiors and a grey plastic coordinated with other interiors. Because quite a few 1940 cars also have grey dash knobs I suspect they might have originally had steering wheels to match ?
   Check some of those 40s out the next time you go to a Grand National to see if you can find a grey ! ( Theyre much rarer than TAN !) BB