News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1933 Aerodynamic Coupe

Started by David Temple, November 06, 2006, 05:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Temple

I just read the V-16 article in the latest issue of The Self-Starter and wondered if anyone has determined what happened to the 1933 Cadillac Aerodynamic Coupe built for the Chicago Worlds Fair. -- David Temple, #22317

Bob Hoffmann CLC #96

We all would ALL like to know. Last rumor I heard 25 years ago it was in a pile of cars in Green Bay Wi. on land to be redeveloped. While youre at it help us find the dual cowl phaeton. LOL Its a real shame all these cars are lost. Bob

Yann Saunders, CLC #12588

Congratulations on your story of the 1955 Eldorado Brougham in the October SS. Please note that the photo at top left of page 21 is not of the car in question; that interior shot of the rear seat belongs to the equally special 1955 Cadillac "Eldorado St. Moritz", another 1955 Motorama show car.

It was described thus by the press of the time: Establishing a new trend in luxury passenger car styling, Cadillacs 270 horsepower, 1955 Eldorado, ST. MORITZ, combines a white pearlescent body with a smartly styled interior upholstery of white ermine fur [the lovely model is reclining against that soft fur!} and pearlescent finished, white English grain leather. White mouton fur carpeting with brushed aluminum floor mat grids and aluminum treads bordered with white mouton complete the interior styling. For the convenience of lady passengers a combination vanity is built into the Eldorado armrest.

The mouton carpeting and vanity case may have confused you into believing this was a Brougham.

One more thing: the caption to the photo below that interior shot mentions "swivel front seats" (in plural).  In fact, only the drivers seat had the swivel function.

Keep up the good work.

David Temple

Lets hope that rumor was not true! -- David Temple, #22317

David Temple

Yann, you have a good eye (which is unfortunate this time)! :-)
He is correct about that photo being of the St. Mortiz. The carpeting and vanity case had nothing to do with the error. Instead, the photo was obtained by Charles Barnette on ebay along with several photos of the 55 Eldorado Brougham. We both just assumed all the photos were of the Brougham. Somehow neither of us noticed the upholstery pattern not matching that of the Brougham - the power of suggestion I suppose. The photo was a last moment acquisition unlike the other photos in the story. Still, it was my goof. I only noticed something amiss when I saw the article in print, but of course there was nothing that could be done by then. As for the issue of the swivel seat or seats in the Brougham, I strongly suspect the wording of the press release is misleading, though of course not intentionally. (Incidentally, I have in my collection an official press release detailing the Buick Centurion which stated that the car had a brushed metallic lower body. Thats was absoulutely in error. Its designer, Chuck Jordan, told me it always had a white lower body. Press releases are not always totally accurate.) The Chevy Biscayne and Buick Wildcat III (both 55s shown at the Motorama) had swivel seats. Why wouldnt the Eldorado Brougham? Certainly, that car could have had just the drivers seat swivel, but that just doesnt make sense to me. According to the article about the 55 Brougham in the April 1955 Motor Trend, Harley Earl commented, "From the outset, it was apparent that we must incorporate certain features known to be acceptable to our customers by virture of Motorama experience and reception of our regular production cars, such as pillarless body construction, panoramic windshield, pivoting front seats..." Also, a caption for a photo of the Biscaynes interior in the same issue says, "Pivoted front seats are a sure bet for early GM production, especially practical on 4-door hardtops." Without photographic proof of a swiveling passenger seat or being able to inspect the actual car, this question cant be settled with 100 percent certainty. -- David Temple, #22317

Tom Hall 7485

Around 1976, the parts merchant B S Wisniewski of Wisconsin advertised a (the) 1933 Cadillac Aerodynamic Coupe for sale for an astronomical price.  I have the ad somewhere in my stash of clippings.  I never saw the wreckage, but friends in Chicago said she was terribly rusted, in part due to lack of rain gutters on the roof.  I have not heard of her since.

Yann Saunders, CLC #12588

I have to agree with your arguments re the swivel seat(s) in the 55 Eldo Brougham. Sure enough it would make little sense to have ONLY the drivers seat swivel. OTOH, perhaps the prototype DID incorporate only ONE swivel seat (to save on production costs), while the plan was to power BOTH front seats in the actual production models that would hit the showrooms 2 years later. In the end, however, that feature was dropped.

I read somewhere that the Chrysler group had patented the swivel-seat design and that GM backed off to avoid paying them high royalties on it.

Charles D. Barnette

It is stories like this that makes me appreciate our Historical Museum. Charles D. Barnette

David Temple

I wondered why GM put swivel seats in several Motorama cars only to not offer them in production cars until the 70s and then only briefly. Swivel seats dont really offer any assistance in getting in and out. I have had the chance to use one in a Chrysler 300-G and it was easier to just get in and out the usual way! David Temple, #22317