News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

lasalle Head bolts torque sequence

Started by Rich Gagliardi, November 11, 2006, 02:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich Gagliardi

Hi Can someone tell me the torque sequence of the head bolts .Or where I can look it up ? I do have a reprint
Shop Manual  I can not find it in the manual   . Do I have to apply anything to head bolts to seal? Thanks Rich.

baxter culver #17184

I couldnt find a sequence chart either.  Walt Brewers advice is torque the head to 50# then add 5# at a time until you have reached the required 75 ft.-lbs.

I started with the center bolts and worked outward always alternating side-to-side.  I torqued to 50# then 65# then 75#.  That should do it (mine sealed just fine).  Hint:  buy 2 long head bolts from your hardware store, make them into threaded dowels by cutting off the hex-head and use them to guide the heads during installation.  This will protect the head gasket and make the job much easier (especially if the engine is in the car).

WarrenRauch

The previous advice is correct. The torque specs only were approved by Cadillac and first appeared in the Serviceman in Sept 1938.The listing for cylinder heads is not less than70 or more than 75.So to find them in a shop manual you will need a newer one.Warren