News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

radio problems

Started by Steve Hales clc# 16187, November 12, 2006, 10:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Hales clc# 16187

I am working on my radio in a 67 Deville. it is an AM radio with the wonder bar.
The previous owner had installed am- fm after market below the dash. I took all that out. I am using the original plug for the radio, I had the radio bench tested and it works fine, I am geting power in the radio plug. the wonder bar works the antenna goes up and down but speaker is dead no sound even  when the radio is turned on. The speaker looks real good .It is the original speaker. any Ideas? appreciate any help.

steve clc 16187

Jerry

Start with the simple stuff - -

Did you plug the antenna back into the radio?

Did you check the fuse?   How is the ground?

Geoff Newcombe #4719

Good looking speakers can definitely be bad, been there done that, hook up another one temporarily and see what happens.

Doug Houston

If the radio was bench tested, was this done with the speaker that is supplied wit it?

If not, check the speaker voice coil for continuity. The voice coil could be open.
Its entirely possible that the speaker could have had voltage on it, either accidentally, or with something wrong in the set. It wouldnt be hard to burn out the voice coil.

Steve Hales clc# 16187

Thanks guys for all your input. I went over everything and then checked the continuity and there was nothing on my meter, dead, zero. so, I had a new 8 ohm speaker and hooked it up, I got sound and found a few stations, Not good though because that is the wrong speaker. Now that I have determined that my speaker is dead where do I find a new one for the 67 cadillac?  10 ohm. or can they rebuild the old one. I appreciate the input.

steve # 16187

Geoff Newcombe #4719

For rebuild I would check locally first, if youlive in or near a good sized town you may well find a radio shop that works on older radios and speakers.  Otherwise putting auto radio speaker repair in my search engine brought up many including these two that looked the most promising.                  

The Speaker Shop
c/o Nick
9074 Market Street
North Lima, OH 44452
phone (330) 758-6911

Jackson Speaker Service
c/o Ron McGee
3921 Pinecrest Court
Jackson, MI 49203
phone (517) 789-6400