News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Replacing oil dipstick tube

Started by Sam Moore # 21210, November 22, 2006, 07:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam Moore # 21210

Can anyone offer some tips on replacing the oil dipstick tube in the block of a 49 331 engine? (the old one is broken off flush) I have the oil pan off and will be working under the car or under the hood with hand tools. I could see it being pretty straight forward if the block was sitting on a workbench, but this may prove to be a challenge.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Sam,

I am not exactly sure with the 331 engine, but I have rewplaced a few tubes that have been broken off, and seeing as you have the sump off, then you are 90percent there.

If you can see the bottom of the tube, you need to simply tap the bottom of the tube straight up the way it went in, and the broken piece should come out.   Then it is just a matter of re-installing a replacement.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Sam Moore #21210

Hello Bruce,

Ill try to tap the old tube out as you recommend. Hopefully, it wont be very tight. Thanks.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Sam,

Make sure that you dont burr over the end, as still has to go out the same sized hole.

I have found that using a larger diameter drift to get it flush with the surface, then a drift of the slightly smaller smaller than the OD of the tube to drive it the rest of the way out.

This way, the drift cannot become jammed in the hole.

The big secret is to tap less with a heavier hammer, as this causes less chance to oversize the end.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

nasser

If Bruces idea didnt work, why dont you chisle it out. Just try not to gauge the metal inside, you dont want that piece of the old tube anyways. Good luck.
Dr, Nasser,

John Morris

As my only bag is parting out old Caddys I have rescued dozens of dipstick tubes. As Bruce stated, you tap them up from the bottom until flush with the block then use a slightly narrower flat end punch to catch the edge of the tube, using a slight angle to stay on the edge of the tube while punching it through the block. You can tap it out downwards in this case as the top is broke off, make sure you dont hit the oil baffle under the crank. To others out there, you can NOT remove an intact tube any other way than pulling the pan and tapping it up, you WILL bust the tube. Good luck, its an easy one.

Sam Moore #21210

Thanks all, for the tips. To my surprise, the tube came out rather easily. I figured that it would be frozen tight after 57 years. If all goes well, everything should be back together today. We are having a few days of 60+ degree sunny weather here in southwest VA, so I hope to drive the car some over the weekend.