News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Re: 1957/1958 vapor return line

Started by Carl Schreiber, November 24, 2006, 06:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl Schreiber

I bought a new s.s. fuel line for my 1957 Biarritz from Inline tubein Michigan.  Turns out I need a 1/4 vapor return line as well.

They dont offer one for a 57; they do offer one for 58.  Can I use a line (pre-bent) for a 58?  Does anyone offer the 2-seated compression fitting ferrule?  How about the screw-together connectors along the frame rail behind the front wheel?

Also, what are members using for a fuel tank cushion between the tank and trunk floor?

Thanks in advance - I enjoy reading the posts and seeing how much knowledge is out there.

Carl Schreiber / 23157

Warren Rauch

The gas tank for 1957 is a one year item.  I would be surprised that that end would hook up right. Warren

Carl Schreiber

Absolutely right, Warren - though I actually have 2 outlets on the tank.

One is 5/16 tube, the other is for 1/4 tube.  Just looked at a 1957 Fleetwood being disassembled and saw the correct layout - the pair of tubes up the passenger-side frame rail, terminating at the frame rail behind the front wheel with couplers.  

From there they go to soft-lines to the fuel pump inlet and the top of the fuel filter.  The 1/4 outlet on my tank has (what appears to be factory) a brass block-off plug, presumably so the tank can be used for every car in the 1957 line as you pointed out.

Ive been told the twin-line setup is used only on air-conditioned cars, too - though Im not sure.  Ive also been told that A/C cars have a different fuel pump, though the MPL only shows one p.n. for 1957.  Sound like 1957 Cadillac restoration urban legend to you? (LOL!)

Thanks again,

Carl Schreiber / 23157

bob haight

My 57 Fleetwood has factory air, and having looked at cars which did not have air, the fuel pump filter housing is sonewhat different, because that is where the return line attaches.  I dont know if you can drill and tap a non-air filter housing to port the return line.  It comes off the bottom of the fuel filter bowl housing when the bowl is installed glass up, which is the way mine always was since I got it 34 years ago.
Hope this helps.

Bob H

Carl Schreiber CLC23157

Bob -

Thanks for the reply.  Ive got both styles of filters (with and without the center tap), and I actually looked at a Fleetwood being parted out and found much of what you described on your car.  

The only difference was the bowl on the filter was on the bottom on the car I looked at - I assume to allow the vapor to rise.  That is, to that center port on the filter housing, and return to the tank via the vapor return line.

Im guessing your reply seals it - A/C-equipped cars use the vapor return line, non-A/C cars dont.

Any help on finding that 2-seated 1/4 brass ferrule would be great, too.

Thanks again,

Carl Schreiber / CLC 23157