News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Nickle Plating - What is the best way to preserve the Plating??

Started by Ken Andersen # 21420, November 26, 2006, 09:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Andersen # 21420

I have just received back from my platers, the first installment of parts sent for nickle plating.( 1928 Cadillace)
Items received were:
Radiator Surround, Front Bumpers, Rear Bumperettes, Cowl Trim

As these will not be fitted to the vehicle for a few months, can anybody advise what is the best way to keep these?

Should I wrap them in cotton sheets??????

Should I put some silicon polish on the parts as has been suggested?????

Items are presently in plastic bags, ( thats how I got them back), and I have pocked a few holes in the bags to stop the items from sweating.

Is there a product that can be put on the parts to keep them looking good, & prevent these parts from dulling?

Any and all tips would be greatly appreciated.

Ken Andersen # 21420

Anthony Amman

I would recommend using Happichs Simichrome Polish.  It is made for chrome, silver, and aluminum or other precious metal surfaces.  It works well on guitars and banjo plated parts, etc.  I have used it for years on chrome and on my motorcycles aluminum parts.  It does not leave any scratches on the parts surface.

Anthony

Art Woody

Spray it inside and out with Pam cooking spray, then put it back in the plastic. It is teflon based. When you get ready to install, clean off the outside and leave it on the inside forever.

Dennis

I hardly think Pam is teflon based. Vegetable, flower or nut oil based, sure. I believe the FDA frowns on teflon in ones diet.  

At any rate, once you install the parts on your Cadillac, what will you protect them with?  Polish? Yeah, thats all Id do with them.  Polish them and put them on a shelf and install them when your ready.

Putting them in a plastic bag could actually do more harm than good as it could trap whatever humidity is prevelent in your geographical area. Maybe cover them with a sheet to keep any overspray, dust, grinding, etc you may do in the area.

When I had some bumpers and trim pieces done for a 58 Chevrolet a few years ago, I had to deploy overseas for a year.  So I washed them all, waxed them, polished them, and put all the parts on a large shelf and bolted plywood to the sides to keep anyone (my kids or wife) from monkeying around with the parts while I was gone. Once I returned, I unbolted the sides, took off the cotton sheets took all the parts outside and washed them with automotive soap and dried them with a chamois.  They sparkled like brand new--because they were.

So, wash them, wax them (wipe off the wax), cover them with a sheet and protect them from physical damage.  Theyll be fine.

But this is just one mans opinion.

Dennis

Ken Andersen # 21420

Dear Dennis, Art, & Anthony,

Thanks guys for your input. Its much appreciated.

Regards