News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Hydraulic Windows

Started by John Washburn, December 03, 2006, 05:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Washburn

Folks,

Anyone know when Cadillac first installed (production) hydraulic windows in their cars?

Last week took a road trip to Piru California to look at the 1940 Sloane car. I believe this one had hydraulic windows, but not sure this was the first production year. Any help would be appreciated.

John Washburn
CLC #1067

Jeff Hansen, #4225

John,

I believe the 1946 convertibles were the first production Cadillacs with hydraulic side windows.  They were also used that year for the divider window in Imperial Sedans, but not the door windows.

Did you get any photos of the Sloan car?

Jeff

Doug Houston

I believe that Jeff has it right. The Hydro-electric system was used for several years on Oldsmobile, Buick and Cadillac. and I believe, on "C" body cars, only. The system operated windows, front seat and convertible top. The pump was located in the engine compartment, and there was an impressive array of plumbing associated with it. The pump motor was actually a small starter motor.

In some operations of it, as with the windows, springs on the window regulator pulled the window down, and the pump didnt run. Likewise, the seat was pulled rearward with springs, and the fluid flowed into a reservoir. Now, if you were running the seat back, as someone was raising a window, the seat went forward,, as the window went up! In other words, if a valve was open and the pump operated, the seat or the window went up or forward, whichever. If you were either raising or lowering the top, you couldnt lower a window or run the seat back during that operation because the pump was running.

I once had a 48 60S with that system, and it worked perfectly. It was one of the most enjoyable cars I ever drove. My mother was very impressed with those goodies of convenience. It was the first car in our family with that stuff.

It was a real mess when the door cylinders or flex hoses leaked the (brake) fluid! Bye, bye paint!