News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1940 Caddy Transmission

Started by Joe Bento #20081, November 28, 2006, 07:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Bento #20081

As we prepare to put the engine back into the car (1940 Caddy Series 72 for those who have not been following along for the past 4 years), it is now time to turn our attention to the tranny (3 speed manual).

So we opened it up and all looked pretty good.  Gears are in good shape, and changes gears nicely by hand.  The only thing that stood out was there was not as much gear oil in there as I would have expected and what was in there was "sludgy".

We poured some mineral spirits in there to begin breaking down the sludge and start cleaning it all up when I noticed it leaking out of the front bearing (the part that connects up to the bell housing).  Doh!

So now, the question:

1) Is there a seal or something here that has gone bad, or is it maybe leaking due to the relative thinness of the mineral spirits (remember, prior to the mineral spirits, I thought it looked low.  Why?)

I dont recall ever seeing a pile of fluid under this car, so I am a bit perplexed.

Can anyone shine a light on what I am working with here?  An exploded diagram whould be nice too.

Many thanks!

Joe

Harry Scott

Joe, There is no seal on the front of the transmission. The imput shaft has threads, that while turning channel the lubricant back into the case. It is important to use a gasket between the bellhousing and transmission to prevent any seepage. Sounds like you are "getting there". Harry

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

Joe, when I had my transmission re-installed, I had a cork gasket ready to go, but my installers used a thin one, and now I have oil everywhere. I plan to un-hook everything, and move the tranny back slightly on the studs, cut the new gasket on top, and try to thread everything back in place  by taking the bolts out one by one, along with using contact cement where I cut the cork. Why not just take the tranny all the way out? It stuck the last time, and that took five years to get fixed...
Best of luck. Barry

Joe Bento #20081

Thanks Harry!

That makes me feel better.  So without the shaft turning and the transmission tilted slightly forward, it would make sense that it would leak!

When we mate up the tranny to the bell housing we will certainly use a gasket!

thanks!

Joe

Joe Bento #20081

Makes sense to me Barry.

Thanks for the advice!

Joe

Brad Ipsen CLC#737

Inspecting the gears is only one of the things to look for in checking these transmissions.  I have rebuilt or disassembled about 10 transmission looking for parts.  Besides crunched teeth on first gear the other common failures are the countershaft bearings and synchromesh.  The countershaft runs in needle bearings.  The needles usually look fine but the shaft gets fatigue failure on the surface (it is rough) and/or the bearing OD surface in the cluster gear gets this same roughness.  The symptoms are noise in first gear.  The cluster gear is not held in proper mesh with the mating gears.  The synchromesh gets wore on either 2nd or 3rd gear.  Most seem to be fine on one or the other but you cant interchange parts to make one good one from two.   If either is bad the good one cannot used for parts to correct the other.  A thin gasket between the bell housing and the transmission is the way to go.  Use sealant with the gasket paying particular attention to the area of the counter shaft.  All of the ball bearings are available except one which needs an adapter bushing machined for the bearing ID.

The instructions in the shop manual are poor and have some errors.  I have made up a corrected set of instructions.  If you want a copy email me at brad@ipsengarage.com.