News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Big Unfair Damage Troubles with Passport Auto Transport

Started by Bill Podany, December 02, 2006, 02:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Podany

Update to my origional post in August.  I promised then to advise all the interested parties who contacted me and replied to my post regarding the unfair, and unethical response by Passport Auto Transport after they severly damaged the roof of my 41 Cadillac 60 Special.  It was necessary to turn the entire claim over to my insurance company, Hagerty.  Passports insurance company sent me a check for $2,900 to repair the damage from their estimate.  They would not send it to a qualified restoration shop, nor would they pay the transportation costs.  Furthermore, I learned that no body shop in east Tennessee would touch this project.  Hagerty acted quickly on my behalf and found my requests to be reasonable and fair.  The Cadillac is being restored to its concours condition by RM Classic Cars in Blenheim, Ontario.  It is my understanding that Hagerty will present this claim to Passport hoping for negotiation and settlement.  The actual repair cost will end up around $10,000.  I returned the check to Passport.  Hagerty is an outstanding insurance company! And FedEx Passports damage claim policies are unreasonable, unfair, and unethical to the victums of thier neglect and improper transport handling.

Johnny #662

I am sure the update is much appreciated by all.  Glad to hear that you eventually got satisfaction, although in a round about way.

I think a couple of lessons could be learned by your experience.

-When transporting a car, check and double check "the fine print".  While, you didnt get the satisfication you wanted from Passport, at least they made some attempt to settle with you.  It is my understanding, that many of the other auto transporters, wouldnt have even try to settle, and at beat given you the round around, until they would have finally wore you down.

-When transporting a car, an individual should verify with their insurance company, the extent of thier coverage when shipping an insured car, especially in a case such as yours, where the repairs couldnt have been done locally.

I guess we can say "Alls well that ends well"...........Yes?

Dick Heller

From the get-go I would have submitted the claim to Haggerty and divorced yourself from the insurance details.  I had a claim with Haggerty in 98; Haggerty paid for the damages and recovered from the other partys insurance carrier.  Net savings was no aggravation on my part (very important health consideration) and no out-of-pocket waiting for the other insurance company to dispute damages and settle the claim.

Dick

Wm Link

...Sounds like I am going to switch to Haggerty as a result of how they handled this situation!