News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

smell of gas

Started by Art22010, December 09, 2006, 04:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art22010

Fellas, drive a 49 and it runs great, whisper quiet. When i pull it in the garage, it always smeels like gas. Cant find a leak anywhere. From the tank, all lines and connections are dry as a bone right up to the carb, which is the correct one, Carter 722. Am i missing something. Is there some other problem that would cause this, just cant find a leak or moisture anywhere, any suggestion would be appreciated.   Art

Bill Ingler #7799

I had a similar gas odor from my 47, turned out it was a bad gasket under the tank sending unit. Hard to see since it was on top of the tank. Didn`t leak enough to show on the side of the tank but what did seap out was enough to put a gas odor in the garage.

Edward Kenny

Try parking your car on a downhill grade with a good amount of gas in the tank and look from the rear under the car to see if any gas drips out. This was how I found that the gas was leaking slowly out of my 62. The gas was coming out of a leak that was located where the sending unit was bolted to the tank.  The gas ran down the front of the top of the tank and dripped onto the pavement.

You might even slide cardboard under the tank to see if gas drips on it.

I had the gas tank cleaned and then bolted a new sending unit onto it, and now all works fine. Good luck to you.

Paul Flykt #188899

I have a similiar problem with my 57. Its the sending unit gasket also, I havent fixed it yet. I try to only fill the tank full at the start of a cruise other wise I have to drive around and burn off a couple of gallons. At 13mpg it doesnt take too long to burn up enough to elimnate the problem. Its a dirty job but someone has to do it.

JIM CLC # 15000

12-11-06
ART, Check the gasket in the gas-cap. Also, check to see how it fits, it should be tight to the top of the fill-pipe.Your problem could be just a bad cap, shucks, bet a new one would look better! Or, is it hidden?
HTH
Good Luck,JIM

Art#22010

Thanks for all the advice fellas. It does seem more pronounced after having put some fuel in it. How dangerous and how long can I go like this?  The work never ends I guess. But she does purr
and Im taking her out as soon as I get home today.  Art

Art

Well it is the original gas cap so I guess I will start there. Thanks.

Rhino 21150

If it isnt the gas cap leaking you can try a variation on the find a squeek trick. Take the hose that you normally stick in your ear and stick it up your nose! If you happen to be goos friends with a car shop that does emissions testing, they may wave their wand, the unburned hydrocarbons wand, around your car for a small fee. I think Densie bought one, do you live near her?