News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

07 "Platinum Edition" Cadillacs

Started by Rich Sullivan #11473, December 09, 2006, 10:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich Sullivan #11473

FYI: Here is a link to photos of the new for 2007 "Platinum Edition" Cadillacs (shows the XLR, DTS and STS models):

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/29/la-auto-show-live-shots-of-cadillacs-ritzy-platinum-series/ TARGET=_blank>http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/29/la-auto-show-live-shots-of-cadillacs-ritzy-platinum-series/

These cars have special features, such as unique exterior paint selections, special "Tuscany" Leather interiors--an extra-soft leather, with hand-cut leather wrapping of more parts of the interiors (dash, consoles, doors, etc.) and more exterior chrome (door handles, grills, etc.), choice of two-toned leather (Cocoa over Cashmere or all Cashmere or all Ebony colors). Notice that the "STS-4" shown is all-wheel-drive.

A "Platinum Edition" was first offered on the Escalade models. These look like a nice additions to the line-up of our favorite marque. It may be offered to compete with the "Designo" Editions offered by Mercedes-Benz. (My preference is still for the older Cadillacs, such as my 71 Eldorado Convertible, but Cadillacs are my favorite new cars, too!)

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

The interior of the DTS (Cocoa and Cashmere, Im guessing) just looks terrible to me.  Its not two-toned, its mismatched. Instead of having the seats and the door panels two-toned, it looks like they had a car with a beige interior on the assembly line and, having no more beige seats, put brown ones in instead.

Rich Sullivan 11473

I agree Rusty--the "two-toned" DTS interior looks poorly done (i.e. the 2002 "Collector Series" Eldorados had a much nicer Neutral/Oatmeal two-toned leather interior design, with the two-tone being within the leather inserts). Im not sure if it is an improvement or not, the addition of chrome to the door handles, when the design of them is unremarkable--maybe it would be better to not draw attention to them? However, I think the "Glacier Gold" exterior paint looks nice, and maybe the overall package looks better when seen in-person. Since theyre adding more luxurious materials (wood, leather, paints, chrome, etc.), the effort is in the right direction!

Dick Heller

Quote from: Rich Sullivan 11473I agree Rusty--the "two-toned" DTS interior looks poorly done (i.e. the 2002 "Collector Series" Eldorados had a much nicer Neutral/Oatmeal two-toned leather interior design, with the two-tone being within the leather inserts). Im not sure if it is an improvement or not, the addition of chrome to the door handles, when the design of them is unremarkable--maybe it would be better to not draw attention to them? However, I think the "Glacier Gold" exterior paint looks nice, and maybe the overall package looks better when seen in-person. Since theyre adding more luxurious materials (wood, leather, paints, chrome, etc.), the effort is in the right direction!

Terry Wenger #1800

Such a "great" offering from a company that always had 20 or more standard exterior colors every year, multiple colors and materials available for interiors,and up to 15 vinyl top colors in the 70s. They even had a "Special Features" program in the thirties and early forties where you could order any exterior color you wanted and higher quality interior fabrics and leathers than standard.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Youre definitely right, Terry.  I remember your article on colors and interiors in the Self Starter a couple of years (more?)ago and how Cadillac had gone from a choice of 13 colors of leather, four colors in one cloth with leather, and four in another cloth with leather to grey, beige (sometimes more than one shade), and black (AKA Anthracite and Ebony)leather and things havent gotten any better since. When I bought a new CTS recently, I had a choice of only Ebony and Lt. Grey leatherette interiors at no extra cost to go with the $995.00 extra White Diamond paint. Cashmere was only available with the $1,200.00 extra genuine leather; I took ebony. I really like the car, but a couple of other things are pretty inexplicable in even an entry-level Cadillac with a list price of $33,000.00 (only options: automatic, sunroof, and premium paint): no compass and no tire pressure monitoring system. The tire monitor was in a 2007 Grand Prix I rented last week (and not just the one tire is low system..it showed the exact pressure in all four tires). To get the compass in a CTS, you have to buy the Luxury Package and to get the tire pressure monitor, you have to buy the performance/tire package. The Pontiac was about as bare-bones as a car comes these days: cloth seats, power seat only on the drivers side, etc., yet it had this new, high-tech feature my CTS lacks.

Larry

Its amazing the choices that we have today in bodystyles, exterior colors, and interiors. And optional "features" are advertised such as chrome trim and two-tone upholstery. I saw a write-up in our local newspaper about the new Corvette with optional body-color panels on the instrument panel. The interior was the generic gray that most all cars have and the added panels. This is a 40-60 thousand dollar car!