News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

346? Engine Identification

Started by J.D. Jaquess, December 10, 2006, 02:29:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.D. Jaquess

After reading through past posts, I have determined that my engine idenification number, which I located on the left rear of the block behind the flywheel is 1441684-2.  However, I can not determine the engine unit number.  The number above the water pump, on the surface of the block where the head mounts up is proceeded by a star, 48?251239 (the third digit is possibly a six, and followed by another star.  On the front of the block, just above the crank, is cast 1684-2, followed by a large 2A.  Finally N114 is cast upside down, between the dipstick and the rear of the block.  Any help identifying this engine will be greatly appreciated.

Warren Rauch

This engine is a 1948 which was used new in a series 62 car.Warren

Jimmy Jaquess

Thank you so much.  I now have aquired two of these engines, and I love the look of them.  I have never even heard one run and no one locally can give me any information about them.  I am going to put one of them into my 29 Ford along with the Hydramatic transmission, Olive Drab paint, ejection seats, WWII grenade gear shifter, artillery wheels, etc..  I have fabricated the motor mounts and crossmembers and have the engine mocked up in the car.  I now need to have the engine rebuilt.  Now that I have identified it as a 48 model, can anyone recommend parts suppliers?  I have a machine shop that I have had good luck with in the past, but I doubt if they are familiar with these engines.  Can a reputable shop be trusted to do the machine work, or should I look for someone experienced with this particular engine?  Are there any recommended upgrades for a 346 engine that will be driven weekly?  Where can I find good literature (part #s, specs., etc.) for these engines?  ANY advice will truly be appreciated.  Thank you for your time.

Doug Houston

As long as youre at it, why not put a later engine in the A, like a 500 CI Eldorado engine. Then, as youll probably paint yellow flames on the front end, theyll really mean something. Itll be a real killer from the red lights!

J.D. Jaquess

Im really trying to stay with as many WWII era parts as possible.  I understand that Im not going to pop wheelies with the flathead, but thats alright with me.  Ive owned several hot rods, but this time I just want to build a neat little sedan with as much vintage military surplus as I can tastefully apply.  The tank engine will be the centerpiece.  There will be no yellow flames, but I may reward myself with an Edmunds intake.