News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1967 caddy eldo power windows

Started by Darren, December 11, 2006, 03:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren

My passenger electric window stopped working . I am pretty sure its the regulator but I am not looking forward to taking apart the inside of door. Does anyone know how to go about doing this or know where I can get my hands on some instructions? Thanks for any help in advance. The window is all the way down and its very cold in the winter in NY.

Tony clc#22054

Hi, it might just be a power window switch. Check the switch and see if you have power going to the regulator.  If it is, you probably have to take the door panel off.

Jerry

Check your wires in the door opening - they often get damaged from years the movement of opening & closing the door.  

Lars Kneller 8246

As the others have said, it is rarely the regulator that is the problem.  Usually its the switch, motor, or the wiring.  Easiest way to fix the wiring is to thread a new wire through the hose and connect it to both ends of the shorting wire (ie, bypass surgery).

Darren

I have a feeling it is the motor but I am just not looking forward to taking apart the inside of that door panel. Does anyone know how to go about doing it without ruining anything?

Geoff Newcombe #4719

The 67 Shop Manual and Fisher Body Manual, you should have both, especially if you are keeping the car, are no doubt available from:

Cranken Hope Publications
461 Sloan Alley
Blairsville, PA 15717-1481
724-459-8853
cranken@yourinter.net

There are other sources also, and you will sometimes find them on ebay.

I would first make certain that the problem isnt in the switch (the contacts can get corroded and be intermittent) OR the wiring (a very common problem) as has already been suggested.  Removing the regulator and attached motor is not a fun job, especially (for me) getting it back in.  DO NOT remove the motor from the spring loaded regulator, or disassemble the motor while attached to the regulator, without first rendering the regulator immovable as per the manuals instructions!  Try to find someone in your area, local club, whatever, that has done this before.  I have done both sides of my 60 Coupe and imagine your 67 will be similar, if not the same.

denise 20352

Well, you didnt say that it was doing, whether it makes noise and goes nowhere, clicks and does nothing, or just doesnt do anything at all, but, before you do anything else, check the switch by jumpering it.  Check for power going into the switch, and then jump the plug each way with a piece of wire.  These switches can check good with an ohmeter and still not work, but you can usually take them apart and clean the contacts with fine sandpaper and contact cleaner.

-denise-

denise 20352

When I removed them from my 78, they were held on with fasteners which I could not find any way to remove.  Any attempt to unscrew them would just brake off the tabs.  I ended up having to grind them off with an angle grinder, which left marks in the door.  Hopefully they wont be as difficult if you have to do them in the 67.  Once I got those fasteners out on the 78, I dont think that it was difficult at all to remove the motor/regulator.  I just had to slide some rollers out and support the window.  It only came out one hole, and only in a certain position, though.

-denise