News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Feb 07 Hemmings Classic Car - Special Issue on Cadillacs

Started by Vince Taliano #13852, December 14, 2006, 10:23:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vince Taliano #13852

Cant wait to see the February 2007 issue of Hemmings Classic Car (HCC), which I hear is devoted almost entirely to Cadillacs, including the CLC Potomac Regions Eldorado Extravaganza.  On the front cover is Sal & Donna Buffas 1956 Eldorado Seville from Liverpool NY.  The car was "discovered" by Mark McCourt, HCC, at our show and photographed professionally in Albany NY.

To see a thumbnail picture of the front cover, visit
http://www.hemmings.com/subscribe/current_issue.html?publication=HCC TARGET=_blank>http://www.hemmings.com/subscribe/current_issue.html?publication=HCC

If you dont subscribe, we strongly encouraged you to pick up an issue at a local book store - available later this month.

Happy Holiday reading everyone!

Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region
http://www.clcpotomacregion.org TARGET=_blank>www.clcpotomacregion.org

Jim Eccleston CLC 16079

I received my copy in the mail yesterday. Everything else was put on hold while I devoured the issue. I have not yet finished it, but I can say that the wide range of articles are most interesting, the photography excellent, and the feature on the Eldorado Extravaganza is great.

Jim Govoni CLC 20546

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Hang on, February 07!!!!!!

What ever happened to January 07?

It is December now and no wonder the time is passing us by so fast.

When can we get back to the days of having something that is for sale that is actually current and up to date?

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Vince Taliano #13852

Visit the CLC Potomac Region website where the Eldorado Extravaganza story in Hemmings Classic Car has been posted.  Visit http://www.clcpotomacregion.org. TARGET=_blank>www.clcpotomacregion.org.

But that is just the beginning!! The February 2007 issue includes many Cadillac stories including:

• Richard Lentinellos Editor Column (Boyhood memories stir Cadillac cravings)
• 1939 Cadillac Series 90 V-16 (The story behind one of the worlds legendary engines)
• Cadillac Style (Celebrating the car that epitomized American grandeur)
• Eldorado Elegance (Living large in an unrestored 1956 Eldorado Seville)
• Special Ks (Ride back to the beginning in a pair of 1906 Cadillacs)
• Cadillac Lovers (Classic Car readers weigh in on their favorite brand)

Definitely a must read for Cadillac enthusiasts!!

Doug Houston

I hate to rain on anyones parade, but a word of caution here. I subscribed to HMNs "Special Interest Autos" from beginning to end. It was one of the finest magazines ever. It was regarded as a highly  reliable authority in automotive history.

Before I knew it, I was getting "HMN Classic Car". Indeed, a fine picture book. I began to read bits of the text, and found some ridiculous boners in the copy. One showed a 42 Oldsmobile,and told that it had an "F" head engine! GM never made an F-head engine. In another article they said that the 41 Cadillac convertible coupe bodies were made by Coachcraft. There were other outrageous statements that the writers should have known beter than to insert. I found the mag to be a wealth of good pictures and an avalanche of misinformation. I let my SIA subscription run out, and gave away the copies of "Classic Car".  A friend in Florida is a subscriber, and he has said that the writers told that there were but two 38-90 converetible coupes in existance (Im quoting copy that someone else has read). A look at Yann Sanders database tells otherwise.

For what Ive seen of this HMN magazine, they should find knowledgeable writers, like Mike Lamm was.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Doug is right.  I was a long-time SIA subscriber, too, and Ive kept Hemmings Classic Car because I enjoy the articles even though every single issue has mistakes that any car nut could catch. I keep thinking theyre going to get better, but it doesnt seem like theyre making any progress along those lines. The letters to the editors are almost all attaboys; I only remember one pointing out a mistake and it was treated as if the writer was diligent enough to ferret out the only mistake they had ever made.  Another example from the current issue in the 39-9067 feature that Doug made reference to: the production of late Sixteen cars is listed as 38-60, 39-60, and 40-60 on the data/specifications page even though the nomenclature is given correctly in the article as 38-90, 39-90, and 40-90.  Even if a proofreader didnt know which one was correct, it should be obvious that ONE of them was INCORRECT.