News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

34 Cadillac V8 overheating problem

Started by Tony CLC#22054, December 15, 2006, 01:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony CLC#22054

The car wasnt overheating until I loosen the bottom outlet of the radiator to flush out the old anti-freeze in-exchange with the fresh one. Suddenly, the temperature gauge went up to hot. I used the thermometer and it showed approx 145 degrees on top of the radiator and only 61 degrees at the bottom. How could this be possible?

Warren Rauch

What exactly do you mean by overheating? A temp of 145 is not overheating in my book. The temperature should be lower at the bottom of the radiator if it is doing its job of cooling the coolant.Warren

Tony CLC#22054

Both the block and the upper section of the radiator temp. continue to climb up and the bottom of the radiator remains cool. It seems like cold water is not circulating into the block.

Paul Ayres #5640

Tony - There are only three possibilities here.

1. You dislodged a lot of sediment when you drained the system and it circulated to the top of the radiator and clogged the passages.  Try back-flushing the radiator by forcing water in at the bottom and letting it flow out the top, with the top hose disconnected.

2.  The impeller came loose from the shaft in the water pump. (Happened on my 1931 V8, which  has the same water pump)

3.  The water pump is not turning because the shear plates in the water pump drive are broken.  Pull the pump and look at the plates in the drive coupling.

The last two possibilities may not be related to draining the system, but could have occurred coincidentally and cause the problem you have.  Let us know what you find.  Paul

Tony #22054

Hi, I am able to see the water coming out of the heads into the radiator from the two clear plastic tubes attached on the radiator hoses on each side of the heads. Is this mean the water pump is working? I will definitely try the back-flushing. Thank you for the information.