News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

56 Front license plate location?

Started by Lou CLC19028, December 15, 2006, 06:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lou CLC19028

Hi all,

In the wonderful state of New York, a front license plate is required. I have searched all over the internet and have seen pictures of the plate mounted on the passenger side & the center of the bumper. Results were just about 50/50. So my question is , where would Mr.Earl install it :)

Thanks in advance,
Lou

Doug Houston

On my first 56 Cadillac, holes were punched in the front bumper in the center, and on the right hand side of center. I elected to bolt the bracket off center, because the center is too vulnerable a location for a licanse  plate.Its obvious that Cadillac sought to give the owner that option. At that time, Michigan still had front license plates. Those were the early days when I first had met Dave Holls. Seeing the plate off center, he ORDERED me to put the licanse in the center!  I rhink I complied. It was torture for a styling guy to see assymetry in any view of the car!

JIM CLC # 15000

12-15-06
Lou, I just got thru going thru the 1956 Cadillacs in the Cadillac Database and found that only one car had the license plate in the center of the front whereas there were two that had the plate mounted on the passinger side of the car.
HTH
Good Luck,JIM

wm link

I had a virgin 56 Fleetwood with 40k actual miles...plate was mounted front and center which I promptly removed.

Jim Jordan

My 56 Sixty Special had a bracket in the center of the front bumper.  Luckily, Oklahoma does not require front plates on my 3 56s (Coupe, 60s, Hearse)

Randall A. McGrew CLC # 17693

Lou, and Doug,

I have to agree... most of the pictures that I have seen with a front license plate have been offset to the right.  I must concur with Doug in this... that front position looks wrong, plain and simple.   I have one on my blue monster and none on the white car that is my daily.  Officially we should have a front license plate here in Colorado so I will see about getting the holder off when I am down there and putting it on.
It will go on the right.

I really feel great about my car.  I just added my alma maters name to the back window with the Alumnus sticker to the right.  Now she feels like mine!  LOL

I need a CLC sticker or cloisenne for the grill but I spent my free money on gifts so it will have to wait.  :D

Frieliche Weinachten, yall!!!

The 1956 Cadillac is KING!  Gotta love those Dagmars!!!