News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

78 Shop manual & blower problem

Started by TJ H 20664, December 17, 2006, 11:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ H 20664

I just picked up a 78 CDV and among other things the heater blower does not work on any setting.  Motor runs with a jumper.  There is no power going to the resistor block.  The vac doors and such seem to operate fine.  The temp switch on the block is working.  Fuses are good.   Ideas?

Was there not a 78 shop manual?  Do I have to buy a 77 and the suppliment? Which systems are in the suppliment?   I have a 73 manual but it looks like there were changes by 78.

Thanks
TJ H
Clc #20664
StPaul/Mpls MN USA
73 Eldo Convert(s) 78 Cdv

Joe 12138

There are enough differences between the 73 and the downsized 78 to make the 73 manual inaccurate.

To my knowledge, the 77 was the main manual to go along with the new body etc., and 78 used a supplement.

I had the same problem on a 77 Deville. Theres a small plastic relay to replace under the dash; not really very expensive, either.

TJ H 20664

Thanks! I will check it out.  I was loosing faith in this board and my feet were getting cold.  I am working on getting a manual so I can solve these problems myself.  It looks like the concept between 73 & 8 are the same they just moved some of the parts around so the 73 was not much help.

TJ H

bill henry

also check the rotary switch in the control head

TJ H 20664

Many thanks to those few that took time to respond!

Still wondering if there was a full 78 shop manual?  I have checked all the usual places and no one lists them.

I have been away from the car but I have got the same answer from several people (mostly on other boards where most of the members dont even drive Cadillacs) and it seems like that was a very common problem and there is an update harness and socket assy available to correct the problem.  Thought I would post the NAPA part numbers for reference incase someone else out there has the same problem or wants to check theirs to make sure the are not about to have the problem.  I am told that the relay is on the fuse block and if you pull it out you can see if the contacts are burnt or showing signs of overheating.

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=MPE&PartNumber=AR143SB&Description=BlowerMotorRelay TARGET=_blank>http://www.napaonline.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=MPE&PartNumber=AR143SB&Descripti

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=TEM&PartNumber=207900&Description=BlowerMotorRelayHarnessConnector TARGET=_blank>http://www.napaonline.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=TEM&PartNumber=207900&Descriptio

The cable is listed for the resistor but the resistor connector looks differnt so I ASSume this is the part for the relay.  I have not purchased it yet so I could be wrong.

TJ H
Clc 20664

Dick Heller

1977 Cadillac Service Manual-Part No. 109 9915, Catalog No. S-1451.

Item number: 280062748547

1978 Cadillac Service Manual Supplement* Refer to 1977 Service Manual (...prepared as a supplement to the 1977 Cadillac Service Manual Catalog No. S-1551.

1978 Supplement shows up on eBay weekly.

Dick

Dick Heller

$9.99 on eBay right now.

Dick

1978 CADILLAC SERVICE MANUAL SUPPLEMENT. From Cadillac Motor Division, General Motors Corporation, Detroit, Michigan. Prepared as a supplement to the 1977 Cadillac Service Manual and covers only those features specific to the 1978 Cadillac. Includes engine, brakes, transmission, and much more. Loads of information, presented in an easy-to-follow format. Many charts, illustrations and diagrams. Neat foldout diagrams. Excellent reference. Complete. Good used condition. Great find for a collector, owner, dealer, mechanic anyone interested in cars. If you have any question about this item or its condition, just ask via e-mail. $3.75 covers shipping and handling anywhere within the US. Add $1.40 for optional insurance.  Thanks for looking at this item, please check out other similar items in this auction and in our eBay store, and good luck with your eBay bidding!

TJ H 20664

Thanks for the info Dick, I have been bidding on various 77 & 78 manuals on ebay.  I was just wondering if there was a FULL 78 version. I assume if there was they must have been rare.  How many years did GM not do full manuals?  Was it just a late 70s cost savings thing?  I have a 79 pontiac suppliment but assumed there was also a full version..... interesting if thats the best way they could find to save money then.  Not that its a bad thing to offer the dealers a chance to save money just seems strange there was not also a full book.  Seems like something they should get back to doing again, or have they?  How many times do you need to see how to put together a drum brake?  Like those MOTOR manuals that are 6 thick and repeat the same thing in every section.

TJ H