News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Anyone ever use Kanters seat repair?

Started by Randall A. McGrew CLC # 17693, December 17, 2006, 12:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randall A. McGrew CLC # 17693

I was considering trying the Kanters seat repair kit to fix the broken down padding and structure of the front seat.  The cover material is in need of replacing... the silver grey cloth is dry rotten and splits easily, but the vinyl is solid. Maybe later.  What I am trying to do is repair the front seat where it is supportive to the driver.  Passenger side is fine, but the driver side obviously had a long, tough job holding up past owners, let alone me!

If not Kanters repair kit, does anyone have ideas for any others that might be better?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Randall

JIM CLC # 15000

12-17-06
Randall,bet you throught the chances of getting a reply were limited to two, Slim & None. Enough of the BS! To answer your question, YES, I have a Kanter seat repair kit in my garage right now. And every so often, I take it out of the box and try to figure it out. one of these-days ILL even try to install it. Best I can remember, it consists of; a heavy pad and a stiff-heavy gage wire. Since buying the kit, I visited an auto upholstery shop and purchased some seat springs which IAM hoping will fix the seat.
When I get time ILL use the new springs. I may or may-not use the kit,depends on what I find when I tear into the seat. Untill then,ILL keep setting on broken springs and rags.
HTH
Good Luck,JIM

Thank you, Jim.

To see if I got the gist of the post... the kit is a waste of money because it takes an upholstery expert to understand how to use it.  What the seat needs is overhauling.
Pooh.  I thought that was a little too easy an answer for $48.00.  Well, we get what we pay for..  I do have a book on repairing upholstry.  Maybe I can get an idea from it, and if I can figure out how to use the kit, I will post it here.

Thanks again, Jim.

PS  I kind of figured someone had tried but was not holding my breath.  LOL

JIM CLC # 15000

12-18-06
Randell,I think you would be money ahead to rebuild your present seat. I think you will find that installing new springs are not that hard. The bottom of the springs are clipped to a metal frame-work and the tops are tied together(interior-one, the outside ones are clipped to a heavy-wire frame). I feel you will have to get some heavy string to cross-tie the springs. you should be able to find some at any place that sales uphostery material and maybe you will get lucky and they will have springs,also. Randall, you may want to measure the length prior to buying any. I plan to reuse the metal clips.I think you could figure out how to use the kit with no problem. HTH
Good Luck,JIM

Jim, I read the description again and it seems like you get the means to repair the simple springs of the cheaper seat with hog nosed pliers (included), then the pad to reinforce or replace the old.  I may still buy it if for the tool.

You have given me enough of an  idea of what to do that it should not be too great a problem.  Thanks again.  I appreciate your input.

Randy