News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Paint Job

Started by Joe Bento#20081, January 07, 2007, 09:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Bento#20081

I am afraid that I am so distressed and so befuddled that I need to break this down into 2 posts.

But the first is a general cost question:

I have a quote for Painting my 1940 Series 72 at $11,000.  Since the engine and tranni are already removed, and all the sheet metal in front of the firewall is removed, this price includes removing all the remaining trim, removing the glass, removing the interior, blasting (glass blasting I believe he said) the entire body, priming, paint, replacing everything removed, etc.  This is a shop that does restoration work exclusively, so I get the impression that they do only one type of paint job: show quality

Is this a "reasonable price"? (and I know that this is a loaded question and that "it depends"). What are some example yall paid for your paint jobs?

What type of questions should I be asking?  Should I keep shoping?

BTW: The shop in question is "Integrity Classic Restorations" in Fort Worth.  If you have any experience with these guys (+ or -) feel free to e-mail me.  Likewise, if there is another shop in the DFW area that I should consider, I am all ears.

Thanks!

Joe

JIM CLC # 15000

01-07-07
Joe, ILL try to get three(3)answers in here to your three(3)questions.(posts) 1. Sorry to hear that you have lost your storage. Can you somehow get the car and front clip to the paint-shop and let them store the car while it is being painted. Joe, $11,000.00 for a "warrentied" paint-job is not too bad.(Just dont make the mistake I did and pay too muck up-front I paid about $9,000.00 and removed all of the trim,(1938 LaSalle coupe).I think I got a good Five foot job.  I was also told      that as long as I owned the car and anything went wrong with the paint that he would take care of it at no cost to me. Only thing is, he didnt tell me of his plan to sell-out in about a year. 2. As to what the car is/will be worth when completed, I dont have a clue, Wish I could put a figue on it. Rarety seems not to increse value. There was only 2711 of my car built, but I think I would be lucky to get $24,000.00 for it.
3.Joe, I wish I had good news for you about the re-chrome prices but I dont, be ready to mortgage the farm or be ready to sell your left kidney.AND be ready to wait because its a lot like making good wine, you cant rush it! You may be able to get by with "polishing any SS trim thats on the car. I had everything re-plated or polished and I cant begin to tell you what I paid to have it done, But it had to be several hundred dollars. (Had mine done at OREGON PLATING Portland, OR.) They have been in business since 1910, their phone number is 1-503-232-7416 and FAX of 1-503-232-3543. I dont have any interest in the business, Except I feel I paid for some of the business when I picked-up the pieces.
HTH
Good luck,JIM

Bill Sullivan

Joe:

I would definitely shop around for your paint job.  Pay careful attention to the work the shop as done.  Not just how good it looks, but also how long it took them to get the job done.  A decent shop will have many references with cars you can look at in detail and talk to the owners.

As for the price, consider this:  a 40 hour week at a $50 per hour shop (most are more) is $2000 per week.  I have painted several old cars, including a Buick limo about the size of your model 72.  Believe me, it takes weeks to properly prepare a car for a high quality paint job.  There is plenty of time needed for stripping paint, fixing dents, rust repair, and block sanding.  Doors need to be alligned, holes filled, you name it.  It all takes hours.  And the paint!  The paint, primers, catalysts, and reducers you will need for a car like a 72 will cost probably $1500, give or take a few hundred.  When the paint is finally on the car, add another 20-40 hours just to buff out a modern high quality paint job.

So $11000 does not sound bad to me for a good quality paint job.  But I would get several estimates and check those references.  Paying $11000 for a great paint job wont bother you in the end -- but paying $11000 for a poor one will definitely ruin your day....

Good luck Joe!

Bill