News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

NEW and Looking at a 39 La Salle???

Started by mark maron, December 22, 2006, 10:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark maron

Hi, i am new here and looking at getting my first... it is a 1939 La Salle Coupe, i am told it is all original but maybe not the paint. but i dont know much about them and what model it is, can someone help me identify the car and tell me some history if i can send an email with pictures?
Thanks
mark

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

On the LH cowl under the hood, there should be a body plate that will have this on it if it is actually a 1939 coupe.
39-5127. Thirty nine is the year, 51 is the Series 50 for LaSalle, and ..27 is GMese for a coupe body. Good luck.

mark maron

Thank you , can i send you a picture to tell me
mark

Richard Sills - CLC #936

Mark,

If you are fortunate enough to wind up with this LaSalle, or even if you just have an interest in the marque, you will definitely want the reference book called "LaSalle: Cadillacs Companion Car" that was produced by the Cadillac LaSalle Club Museum.  For full details and information on ordering, go back to the home page of the CLC website and click on the books title in the left-hand column.

Also, CLC members are entitled to join a chapter devoted exclusively to the LaSalle.  This is called the LaSalle Appreciation Society ("LAS"), and it provides a great opportunity to network with other LaSalle owners.  For contact information on this chapter, go back to the home page of the CLC website and click on "chapters" in the left-hand column.

Good luck,
Richard

FRED #23106

You may want to go to Google Search Engine and enter in:

1939 LaSalle

You should see a lot of pictures of many of them. Another place to look is at the CLC Club Home Page.  See http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org TARGET=_blank>www.cadillaclasalleclub.org

When you get to the site, click on "Photo Gallery" (Link is at the lower left hand side of the Home Page).  You then click down to the LaSalle Section and can see several 1939 LaSalles, including my maroon 1939 LaSalle Convertible Coupe.

Fred

mark maron

can you identify this on the data plate under the hood for me??

STYLE NO 39-5027
BODY NO 2759
TRIM NO 31
PAINT NO 60

Thanks in advance

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

As I said before, ..27 is GM speak or designation for a coupe. So, you have a 1939 LaSalle (Series 50) coupe. I.E. 39-5027. The paint code is Trinidad Grey, a dark metallic charcoal grey. I am sorry, but I dont have what the interior trim would be, but a 98percent sure guess would be some shade of grey, probably a broadcloth. If enough original material remains, and it is a wide ribbed broadcloth, that particular material (used up past WWII) is not being reproduced. Other plain broadcloths or Bedford Cord are acceptable substitutes.

Bill Ingler

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

Hi Mark. It looks pretty original. At least, most everything seems to be there. A very definite plus is the radio, which is worth about a thousand dollars in itself. Nice fog lamps. Ill let you wait for some other comments.

FRED #23106

Car looks good, but what about the cost?  You might want to check the Manheim Gold Book Values of Antique Cars for this information.

http://www.manheimgold.com TARGET=_blank>www.manheimgold.com

Value will be shown, based on condition of the car. These are only estimates and there should be room for negotiating.

There was a nice cover article in the July 2006 issue of Hemmings Motor News. The car was a 1939 LaSalle 2-door coupe (same as your car). I would certainly take a good look at this article, as it gives a LOT of information on the same exact car.

The steering column and brake handle are painted black in your photos (should be a darker brown), but this is easily corrected. What about the mileage and how does it run and drive?  

Did you join the Cadillac-LaSalle Club yet? This would be a good place to start and there are often some nice older Cadillacs and LaSalles for sale by the memmbers (or could be used for comparison purposes). As you already found out, the CLC members are very responsive and helpful.  

Fred

mark maron

Very very good to know....thanks for your help and i will let you know..
mark

mark maron

Quote from: FRED #23106Car looks good, but what about the cost?  

He is asking 20K for the car, and actually he wants MY 31 Ford Model A Tudor for 20K so we are looking at a trade. That is what makes it so very very tempting to me..

[You might want to check the Manheim Gold Book Values of Antique Cars for this information.
http://www.manheimgold.com] TARGET=_blank>www.manheimgold.com]

[There was a nice cover article in the July 2006 issue of Hemmings Motor News. The car was a 1939 LaSalle 2-door coupe (same as your car). I would certainly take a good look at this article, as it gives a LOT of information on the same exact car.]

That is a MUST....i will get that

[The steering column and brake handle are painted black in your photos (should be a darker brown), but this is easily corrected. What about the mileage and how does it run and drive?]

Good to know also and i will have to get all the books

[Did you join the Cadillac-LaSalle Club yet? This would be a good place to start and there are often some nice older Cadillacs and LaSalles for sale by the memmbers (or could be used for comparison purposes). As you already found out, the CLC members are very responsive and helpful.]

NO i have not joined the club yet but looking into it
thanks again and i will keep you informed
mark

Fred

FRED #23106

Mark,

If I were you, I would make the trade immediately, provided the LaSalle runs as good as it looks.  I once had a 1929 Ford Closed Cab Pickup and the value of Model A Fords seems to be stabilized, due to the fact that they cannot be driven much on modern highways (limited speed, mechanical brakes, etc.).  A 2-door is not worth the same as a convertible, but this should be evident after looking at the Manheim Gold site.

I just checked: 1939 LaSalle Coupe:  Good $28K, Exc. $44K
                1931 Ford Tudor:     Good:$9K,  Exc. $13K Show. $17K

The LaSalle is a completely different story.  Take a look at my personal web site for pictures of my 1939 LaSalle Convertible and also there is one picture of my 1929 Model A Pickup (sold it years ago and it has a nice home in Daytona Beach for parades etc.).

My web site is http://www.fzoldcars.com TARGET=_blank>www.fzoldcars.com

You will find that you will really enjoy upgrading from a Model A to a LaSalle (much power, better ride, great brakes, everything improved - no comparison).  Hopefully there are no Model A Ford owners lurking here, but I am am not knocking the Model A, as I really enjoyed mine for over 25 years. I am just voicing my opinion based upon my experience with both cars. If you want a serious driver, go for the LaSalle.  If you like parades, may consider keeping the Model A.  I vote for the LaSalle, as have had two 1939 LaSalles in my lifetime and love them both.

Let us know and keep us posted. Once you are a LaSalle owner, youi will have many new friends on this forum who will genuinely be of great help.  Where are you located?

Fred

Jack Carroll #18687

Mark, Nice 39 coupe. Id swap your car for the LaSalle.I own
      The car that was in Hemmings last July. The car was also
       featured in Hemmings Classic Car in March 05 with a lot
       more info including the specs. Feel free to call me if
       want.

Jack Carroll
        978-433-6257

mark maron

Where can i find out any stats on this car, number built, options, technical information ect?
Mark

Jack Carroll #18678

Mark,As I mentioned in in yesterdays message. Give me a call if you want. I have a copy of The LaSalle book and can look up the
info.
LaSalle built 3531 coupes in 1939.
List price as of 10/18/1938 was $1240.00

Jack Carroll
978-433-6257

Bill Sullivan

Mark:

I would certainly not hesitate to make that trade.  While the Model A is a wonderful car, unless your Model A has Jimmie Hoffas fortune hidden under the running boards, there is no way it would compare in value with the LaSalle.  Your 39 LaSalle has the relatively rare and desirable coupe body.  Although LaSalles do not command prices like Dodge Challengers with Hemis, they are usually easy to sell and are not cheap.  

The Ford 2 dr sedan (I think this is the model you are talking about) is the least desirable of all the Model As.  And as others have said, your LaSalle can be driven safely at freeway speeds.  It is a very quiet, powerful and comfortable car.  I have had a 40 coupe for years, and have driven it across the country several times and enjoyed every minute of it.

The biggest problem with a LaSalle is the relative lack of repro parts available.  But Cadillac parts work for most things, and the car you are looking at appears very complete to me, so whats the problem?

Good luck!

Bill.  

FRED #23106

Mark,

I agree that you should make the trade. This could be your best Christmas gift to yourself ever. Why anyone with a 1939 LaSalle coupe in nice condition would want to trade for a Model A Tudor is a mystery to me.  From my experience, when a deal such as this comes along, it is not good to hesitate too long, as these deals can disappear overnight. If the guy wants to trade and has a clear title - go for it and dont look back. You will never regret your decision.  And later, if you need anything, you already have many friends on this forum who will be here to help when needed.

I have had 2 (1939) LaSalles and have never had much trouble in getting parts. They are so durable that they dont need much. I have a complete file of available sources and can supply much information when needed.  Please let us know how you make out.

Fred Zwicker

mark maron

Thank you all, Well to answer the question, the person who wants to trade is a FORD man and is collection all fords from the start to the war and mine is the one he is missing, I am very very happy to hear that the car is a reliable one and parts are not that hard to find.. I will let all of you know how i do make out and thanks again for all the assistance so far
Sincerely
mark