News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

steering pump problem

Started by Wilson, December 24, 2006, 04:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilson

I started my 84 Eldo and left it running for about 1/2 hour. I came outside and noticed fluids on the driveway. I checked the engine compartment and noticed that power steering fluid had poured out of the reservoir. I checked the reservoir and the fluid was bubbling. I put the car in reverse and turned the car off. I then noticed oil leaking as well. I had a new engine (HT 4.1)install and have only driven it for about 300 miles, WHATS UP ??

Peter CLC#19666

Hi Wilson,

Dunno if this may help: I have a 1972 Cadillac 472 engine with the exact similar problem- steering fluid overflowing and in driveway. Turned out to be a belt. Belt replaced, problem solved.

Good luck.

Peter

TJ H 20664

The power steering thing could just be that it was not bled properly if they had it apart when the engine was replaced. Even if they didnt have it apart the may have let it tip upside down letting air into the system. Also check your owners/service manual on what the proper fluid is supposed to be.. ATF vs. power steering, on many systems (especially newer ones) it makes a big differnce.  If you have a service manual also check to see if there is any special bleed procedure.  Most power steering fluids are clear and atfs are red you can usually get an idea whats in yours by the color, wipe the dipstick on a white towel and that will usually seperate the dirt from the fluid so you can guess at the color.  If it is wrong a turkey baister can be used to suck all the fluid out of the resivor and then refill it with the proper stuff.  This will have to be done several times since some of the fluid is in the rack or box and lines.  You can do a power flush but it requires special tools to not make a mess.  The typical bleed procedure is to jack up front of car so wheels are off the ground , start engine and cycle (turn) the steering from lock to lock (all the way both ways) several times keeping an eye on the resivor.  Some of the systems have some special details so dont try it till you know for sure about yours.

As for the engine oil leak...  I would hope/assume that you have some sort of warranty?  Before running the car again I would contact the people that did the engine rebuild and or install.  I would think it may be in everyones best intrest to tow it in and do a carefull check to see if there is something wrong.  One of the many issues with the 4100s is that they can not take ANY abuse so even if its on your dime towing it in for a look may be worth it.

Good Luck!  I hope its just a loose screw and a steering flush/bleed because Im sure after paying for a rebuild on a 4100 you dont have or want to throw a lot more money into the car.

TJ H
Clc 20664
StPaul/Mpls MN USA