News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1937 LaSalle Valves

Started by Michael Conner, December 26, 2006, 02:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Conner

Hi, I have a 1937 LaSalle and I finished rebuilding engine and it has great power and runs fine. And heres the but, the valve lifters are very noisy. I dont want to pull it apart as it doesnt get driven very much. Has anyone found any additives that can quiet these down? Or is there any oil pumps out there that flow more pressure and volume. Im just hoping there is an easy fix available. Michael C.

Michael Conner

Oh yeah, my e-mail address is (stokedsurfer@sbcglobal.net) if anyone wishes to contact me about this. Thank You! Michael C.

Doug Houston

I assume that the lifters in your engine are the original type, made by Wilcox-Rich. Theyre the type with a little spring in the top of the lifter. If the lifters were cleaned thoroughly, they usually work reasonably well. The inner part of the lifter needs to be removed from the outer body. The inner part is the critical part, its in two pieces, and these two parts MUST NEVER BE MIS-MATED. They are very precisely matched. There is a little ball-check inside the part with the little tube on it. When the lifter is cleaned, you must be able to hear the ball check rattle. thats what keeps oil in the lifter as the engine runs. If the ball check doesnt work properly, oil wont be trapped in the plunger-cylinder, and the lifter will clatter.

The oil pump isnt an issue, unless it isnt delivering enough oil at 30 PSI at running speeds.

There may be a detergent additive to your oil that can loosen up the lifters, if theyre sticking. Its worth a try.

Michael Conner

Thank you, I geuss Ill pull the manifolds off and lifter covers and check it out. Thank You! Mike