News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

A/C Dash Vent Remover Tool

Started by Joel Den Haan #21586, December 26, 2006, 06:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel Den Haan #21586

I wonder if Remover and Installer Tool J-24612-01 is still available out there, or if somebody has come up with a reasonable substitute for removing the dash A/C grilles on my 78 6D69?  Ive broken a number of the fins already, have some good replacements available, but dont want to break them on installation!

Thanks!
Joel Den Haan

Ev Marabian

Joel!    The tool that you were inquiring about should still be available from Kent-Moore who provides tools for GM autos.  The one you need is as you stated J-24612-01 A/C Louvre Remover and should still be available from SPX KENT-MOORE.  Their telephone number is 1-800-468-6657 for you to order.  Give them a call because you are right it is easy to break the louvre during installation, etc.  Good Luck!    Ev Marabian CLC # 17806

Frank #12944

i just checked, available to be shipped late January but they cost $225.00 each....

Joel Den Haan #21586

OK so if they are $225 US, I wonder if anyone out there has figured out an alternative method?  Im thinking of surgical tools, special needlenose pliers, etc. etc.?

Ev Marabian CLC#17806

Joel   You got to be crazy if you pay $225.00 for that tool.  My friend made this tool for my 76 CDV back a few years ago and all it is is a piece of spring steel worth no more than $20. or $25.  Be certain to call Kent-Moore and ask for one of their catalogs so you can see the design of this tool.  EAM

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

Hi, I use a piece of thin plastic to slip between the end and the housing, and then pry the plunger out with a small screwdriver. It never seems to work the same way twice, but if you are careful, you wont break anything. The price quoted is unreal...

denise 20352

I just use a small screwdriver and slip the ends out one at a time.  There is a picture of the special tool in the FSM, basically just a wishbone-shaped strap with a notch in each end so that you can get both pins at once.

-denise

Joel Den Haan

Quote from: denise 20352I just use a small screwdriver and slip the ends out one at a time.  There is a picture of the special tool in the FSM, basically just a wishbone-shaped strap with a notch in each end so that you can get both pins at once.

-denise

Thanks everyone for your help on this.  Ill see if I can make a tool out of spring steel, or be in touch with the supplier.  The use of a screwdriver to remove these vents is how I broke them in the first place!  So, I guess Im less skilled than some of the rest of you....

Joel Den Haan.

denise 20352

> use of a screwdriver to remove these vents is how I broke them in the first place!

Did you notice the little slots in the pins that go outward and hold the vents?  The pins are just inside the ends of the vents.  That is where you put the screwdriver, in that little slot, and you have to ease the pin back gently, just enough to be able to move the vent.  It has a plastic spring, though, and  it may break whether you use the tool or not. If you can get the index finger of your other hand in there to help hold the pin, that is helpful.  Then you move the vent just 1/4 or so in or out (it may only be able to move in), just enough to keep the pin out of the hole, while you go get the other one.  Sometimes the first one slips back in there and you have to go back and forth, so it takes patience.  Then you turn the vent up or down, kind of cock it so that one end comes out first, hold your lower lip to the side and stick out your tongue in sort of an evil,  frowning grimace, and hope for the best.

While you have the vent out, you will probably see that the piece of foam weatherstrip that was stuck on there is almost gone.  This is what gives you the friction to make your vents stay where you adjust them.  Replacing this is one of those details that gives you that new car feel again.  You can use weatherstrip, but I like to cut a thin piece of hi-density foam with an electric knife, and glue it on with weatherstrip adhesive.

Dont feel bad about breaking them.  Weve all done it, and you can usually find replacement vents on Ebay.

-denise

Rhino 21150

If you have a trucking company in town they probably have some steel banding material for shipping crates that they want to get rid of. This stuff is VERY useful. You can also make Slim Jims, or door lock poppers. I got some at the local newspaper printing plant, they were happy to be rid of it.
You can cut this stuff with snips and it bends quite easily with pliers. It is just stiff enough to do this job.

AALZERO

hey there this is Al zero!

I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions I haven't had a chance to work on the Cadillac lately but I will get to it soon but thanks for the information.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

This topic is TEN years old!!!
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

and this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271419167622

is the tool on e-bay .  Someone got their decimal place wrong

Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

76eldo

The secret is don't try to pry both tabs and pull the vent out.
Gently pry one tab and push that side into the dash. The other side will pop free and then you pull the vent out towards you.

This is the Caristo method and it works very well.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

EAM 17806

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on April 04, 2017, 11:35:45 PMThis topic is TEN years old!!!
SO WHAT!  Many members are still quite interested in figuring out how to buy this tool (whitin reason) or just how to make one.  Just what seems to be your problem?   EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

this is the Kent Moore tool
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Big Fins

It's now 15 years old. And Ev, if you haven't figured Bob out by now, you never will. He shoots from the hip.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille